Fair Market value Price for 2nd hand Organs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Market value Price for 2nd hand Organs

Is there anyone who would know if there is a website for any information on a fair market value for Electronic Organs? I am trying to find out what would be a good price for a Lowrey Prestige/ Sterling, Yamaha ELX-01 and a Roland Atelier 90S/SL. So far I found a asking price of 6800.00 for a Prestige and 8200.00 for a Sterling. 7000.00 for a Yamaha ELX-01 and 6500.00 for a Roland 90S. All in Canadian prices. Is that a good price or is that overpriced??? You help is greatly appreciated.

The only used organ pricing reference that ever existed in the US market for home organs was the Organ Blue Book, which ceased publication at least 20 years ago. . Used by dealers mostly.
    Here is a website that has a pdf of the 1986 edition.
    https://archive.org/details/OrganBlu...eBook1986-Pt.1

It has been years since information like this was valuable enough to track.
    Here is a current thread on the ELX-1. https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...1-yamaha-elx-1

Hands down, this website down at the bottom of these forums "What's it worth" is your best bet for information. Search the site for archived information will be worth the effort.

Lowrey's made in the last 10 years might be worth something, but declining real fast.

Overall, the price should start at nearly $0 for most stuff, with certain exceptions, certain tonewheel Hammonds in good condition for example, although there is no end to the ignorance displayed by the general public on the valuations of "grandma's beloved organ"
    Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
    Is that enough?

Comment

To illustrate my point of how absurd the public values these things, here is a current Facebook marketplace ad for one of the Lowrey organs you specified above.

Marketplace - Lowrey Organ - open to offers | Facebook
      Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
      Is that enough?

Comment

• Organkeys Jones
        Organkeys Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        Absurd is an understatement! $80k new?? Did someone actually pay $80k for a Lowrey?

I would say they are all overpriced. Probably the most valuable one is the Roland, because Roland is still making organs! Lowrey's made in the last 10 years can still be expected to function well for some time, but I still think the prices you were quoted are too much given you will have trouble repairing them if there is a problem. Yamahas are quite reliable, but the ELX-01 is an organ from 2000, so you may start running into power supply problems, especially if it hasn't been played much recently, and again you'll have trouble repairing it if you get into trouble. Even for the Roland, depends on when it was made whether it is old enough it might give you trouble.

-Current Instruments: Allen Mos-2 225 RTC,1870's W. Bell Reed organ, 1890's Singer Chicago upright grand piano Former Instruments: Yamaha Electone E3R

Comment

No such website exists. You're probably already aware that the value of organs depends on a multitude of factors. Location (supply and demand, basically), condition (electronic and cosmetic), age (availability of parts), physical size (larger models sometimes just won't fit in a lounge or go through a doorway), quality (in terms of sounds, features and reliability). And so on.

The prices you quote - converting at Canadian $ = £0.58 - seem high to me. A Roland AT90S, for example, is less desirable than the 90SL, which might fetch something near that asking price.

Our 'How much is it worth' will usually get some replies. And yes, look for 'completed listings' and 'sold items' on Ebay. It is very much a buyer's market, so you can go in with lowball offers. Yes, you might offend some sellers but they might come back to you after a short while when they realise that no-one is going to pay their asking price.

And our golden rule applies. If the organ has faults, walk away unless you know with 100% certainty that it is fixable, and fixable at a reasonable cost which is then deducted off the asking price. If in doubt, pass on it.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I can understand the pint of view that you are all saying... The sad point is, in Canada there are no choices or competition for negotiation. In the U.K. and U.S. there is all kinds of Yamaha Lowrey and Rolands. Up in Canada there is barely nothing at all. So do I stand my ground and hope for the best to bargain the price down? Or let it go and wait for something better? Lowrey and Roland do not make any organs. Yamaha, I would have to import from Taros Trade. I have seen countless videos for Wersi, Ringway, and those I would have to import if I want to go new. I hate that the market for organs is disappearing and I have to be at the mercy sometimes.

Comment

• beyerjf
            beyerjf commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like it is time for a road trip. Scour Facebook marketplace, better than Craigslist these days, find the instrument of your dreams, borrow a buddies van, or rent one and drag it home.. Just tell customs it was given to you by a long lost relative and has no value, if they ask at all.

I actually live in Canada, though you are right it depends on where you live. In Manitoba and in Alberta where I used to live, there are a lot of old home organs available for free or very little. They may need a power supply rebuild or some other work, but they are there. You can buy a pedalboard and a Hammond SK2/SKX for less than any of the organs you just mentioned. If you’re really strapped for cash, you can buy two inexpensive keyboards and put them on a 2 keyboard stand and run them to your computer for the sounds. You can get a 13 key pedalboard for instance from Hammond for a reasonable price. So there are options, but it’s true it’s not as easy to buy an inexpensive, relatively new, turn key organ, even in Canada.

-Current Instruments: Allen Mos-2 225 RTC,1870's W. Bell Reed organ, 1890's Singer Chicago upright grand piano Former Instruments: Yamaha Electone E3R

Comment

Well I decided to let the Broker( I feel that he Is a Scam Artist) know that I was iffy and explained that I thought he and the seller were asking a bit much for a Lowrey Sterling(9000.00$)/Prestige(8200.00$)Canadian. He presented himself as a Broker as He Advertise Roland, Yamaha, and a few Hammonds.all over Facebook MarketPlace... He would not tell me where the organ was coming from. Who the seller was, I asked him to see If I could contact the seller and send a email to ask a few questions. He would not response on provision of a bill of sales..etc. So I offered 5000.00$ Canadian for a Lowrey Sterling, OUFF!!!! well that was a mistake. Btw you were all right, it will tick off a few sellers... Apparently I know nothing about organs he sais, he had been doing this for 40 years. He told me that he felt that I was not serious and then just told me to **** Off!!!.

Was I wrong to questions and explain that Lowrey and Roland no longer produce organs. Yamaha had to be ordered through a third party. That there is no one I think that could fix an organ in the Atlantic Maritimes( Canada). Parts a hard to come by if any, and it could be working today and tomorrow be a very beautiful non functioning piece of furniture. So if you ever come across a guy by the name of Rene Lacasse (Quebec) be very aware please and do your du diligence.

Comment

• beyerjf
              beyerjf commented
              Editing a comment
              He sounds like one of ours who advertises on Ebay all the time. Screaming headlines, his vendor name is even cheaplowreyelectronicorgans. Located in Scottsdale AZ, clearly has sources for these machines in that market. What gives me pause is the fact that he used to sell, how can I put this tactfully, potions for curing ED. He even is trying to sell a domain name bashing a former President.
              Shipping to any continental US location is $500, Of course no warrantee express or implied. Cut a deal and meet him in Houlton ME. Good luck in your search.

Here is one of his listings:
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/15462843580...cAAOSw6Vleofsc

He would not tell me where the organ was coming from. Who the seller was, I asked him to see If I could contact the seller and send a email to ask a few questions. He would not response on provision of a bill of sales..etc.
            I would not deal with anyone like that. I recently bought, from a dealer in another state, a traded-in organ advertised as "not working, would suit hobbyist" on the basis that I would either fix it or convert it run GrandOrgue. The dealer couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, just that "it doesn't work -- it's a write-off".

However, if I was seeking an organ that was supposedly in working condition, I would want to deal with the seller, not some middle-man who flips organs on commission, especially if the local situation tends to be a seller's market because of low availability of organ models under consideration. Even if the seller is so clueless about the instrument that he/she thinks they are selling an electric piano inherited from a deceased family member, you are better off negotiating with them directly.

If you feel that you will have to spend serious bucks to get something suitable, then definitely budget for a trip to see and play it. Standing there with a wad of cash often makes negotiating the final price easier, especially if the seller is in a hurry to be rid of the organ. However, that also behooves you to be ready to move it at a time that suits the seller -- which could be the next day.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
            -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
            Leslie 147 #F7453.
            Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Working...
            X