Yamaha elections e5r ...value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha elections e5r ...value?

My title says it all. I have been searching the forum for an approximate value of this fine organ. It hasn't been played for 30 years , but looks to be in mint shape ...certainly in appearance at least. Your comments are appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Things may be different in Nova Scotia, but sadly it's probably not worth much. This model was released in 1971, so it is 50 years old. Yamahas are usually pretty reliable, but at that age, you can expect the capacitors to need replacing, more so if it isn't been played in 30 years. Unless you're going to replace the capacitors yourself, it's going to get expensive fast, and I'd be surprised if there's anyone outside of Halifax that would do it. They used styrofoam speaker drivers that are fine until they start degrading, then they have to be replaced with a modern driver that you would have to engineer a new mount for. So even if it plays well when tested, I would expect it to develop problems as soon as the next time it is played. The organ market is so depressed that even if you spent a lot of money to repair it, it still wouldn't be worth much.

That being said, however, as far as I know In Nova Scotia there is a culture of appreciation for older furniture. However, there is also probably a lack of people who can repair an organ like this and keep it running. I have friends in Yarmouth and I've been there a few times, but otherwise I'm not an expert on market conditions in NS.

Still, it can be a pretty good organ. Since it's analog technology it can be pretty repairable, and in my opinion it can sound pretty good. It has two full size manuals and a 25 key pedalboard. It's quite a heavy beast though, so it's worth getting professional help to move it, especially if it's in a basement or upstairs. I had an E3R, so very similar, but it's condition was beyond repair, so I gutted it and converted it to a midi controller.

So bottom line is I wouldn't pay much if anything for it, but it could be a good organ for the right person, preferably someone comfortable with electronics repair.

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
    Former: Yamaha E3R
    https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

Ditto to what Larason2 just said. Its true market value - if it were in fully working condition after an overhaul - would be minimal. Probably no more than if it were dead. That value is just the value of the console, keys and pedals as a controller instrument for a software based organ. Buyers for these know how little they have to pay!

You might just find someone willing to take it on as a restoration project or as a virtual console, but be prepared to sell for very little or to give it away.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
      X