X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're working with synth based sounds where you can pan and detune, try three identical sounds, one panned half left, slightly flat - one in the centre, in pitch - one panned half right, slightly sharp. You should get some nice movement.

Take this further, with a clean, even pitches only drawbar sound as the starting point, use two, one left and one right, detuned enough to get a beat of around 7Hz, then add a little vibrato to each sound, again at 7Hz. Depending on the synth, you should get a simulated Leslie effect.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
      If all the sounds on my favorite E. Power Biggs record are "mixture", that doesn't help me set the drawbars on my H100 electronic organ at all.
      Indiana,

I apologize for missing your post earlier. Since I've seen you on the forum for quite a while, I made the mistake of assuming you knew how to register your Hammond drawbars to imitate pipe voices. Just in case you don't, I've provided links to free PDF files (the best price!) that will help you do just that.

Today at church, I took some pictures of their L101 and Leslie 125 for reference, etc. In my travels through the organ bench, I came across 3 books--2 of which are not copyrighted. I hope to make them available soon. They are:
      • Harmonic Drawbars--The Hammond Organ Exclusive (flexibility, versatility, individuality).
      • Hammond Model L-100 Series Spinet Organ Owner's Playing Guide
      • Hammond Organ Guide for Church Music, Volume 1 (A collection of instruction articles by Porter Heaps, Orville Foster, & Mario Salvador
      The Guide for Church Music has a few pages dedicated to Hammond registrations to match specific Pipe Organ stops by name and pitch (i.e. Tromba 8').

I also downloaded 2 PDF files, and they are:Perhaps these documents can help meantime. You can also search archive.org for Hammond Organ or Leslie Speakers to get information that way.

I hope this information is useful to you, and not just redundant information you already have.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
        haskey, there are some celeste stops that invoke a pair of ranks, one tuned slightly sharp and the other slightly flat--they play together but don't normally rely on a "straight" rank for their effect. Traditionally, some celeste ranks (intended to be played with a straight rank) are tuned sharp and others are tuned flat: Voix Celeste ranks are normally slightly sharp; Unda Maris ranks are usually slightly flat, for example. (No, I don't know why that is so.)

David
        I believe that some of the most famous Kimball string stops consisted of three ranks, sharp, in tune, and flat . Perhaps some flute celestes were deployed so, but I can't think of any particular organs.
        Casey

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
          If you're working with synth based sounds where you can pan and detune, try three identical sounds, one panned half left, slightly flat - one in the centre, in pitch - one panned half right, slightly sharp. You should get some nice movement.

Take this further, with a clean, even pitches only drawbar sound as the starting point, use two, one left and one right, detuned enough to get a beat of around 7Hz, then add a little vibrato to each sound, again at 7Hz. Depending on the synth, you should get a simulated Leslie effect.
          Nice Andy thanks for the tip

Comment

on baldwins (at least from what i know) with two manuals, the lower is called acc. (accompaniment) and the upper is called solo. concerning pistons, there is blind action, common on home organs, that does not move the stops to adjust to the presets, and normal combo action (i think this is what it is called, please help me on this), which moves the stops. there is also 2nd touch, so that when you gently press a key, it pays one note, then the harder you press, it plays more notes, same note, different frequency.
            the head of music at mellophoneman100 (you tube)

baldwin studio II
            hammond N300
            and a nice pair of holton french horns

Comment

Working...
            X