This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moller Console Swell Shoe, Keyboard, Pedalboard Mechanisms

I'm revisiting my on-again, off-again Carillon Americana project - which has a Möller built organ console. Beyond the restoration to the wooden finish, the mechanisms for the keys, pedalboard, and swell shoes need refurbishment.

I'm curious to hear from anyone on the forum that has refurbished or modernized one of these 2m consoles to see what materials they used and how much work it is for someone without significant experience with the console mechanicals. I believe these consoles were used on the Artisté instruments, and other smaller organs, so they are fairly commonplace.

The keyboard rails and contacts are long gone, I want to explore the options for new contacts, but would much prefer something with the best longevity as this instrument is historical and I'd rather not have to refurbish things again. I still have the pedalboard contacts, but feel again that it would likely be better to get future-proofed switching like the newer Allen instruments. Finally, I was curious if there are drop-in replacements for the existing swell shoes that will output a signal for my MIDI (Artisan uMIDI) system.

I'm hoping to finally finish the wiring portion of the project soon, which leaves the console as the next action item. Any commentary is greatly appreciated, and if there is anyone who does this or the console woodwork restoration I'd certainly be open to talking further as well.
    Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
    - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
    Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

A Moller Artiste is not really 'historical' in the accepted meaning of the word. I wouldn't knock myself out. I think we need some pictures of what is and isn't working in the console. It might be easier to just source different keyboards.

Comment

Not sure what happened to my posting, but it shows up blank now. At any rate, for a pipe organ I would say the console wouldn't be of historical significance. However, as these carillon instruments were rare, and are especially more-so today, I am interested in preserving the original console. The control plates, extra swell shoes, and stop tabs would require custom modifications to a newer/modern console in a way that would likely be cost prohibitive anyhow.

The keyboards aren't in bad shape, likely just needing some refurbishment due to age and more-so due to storage conditions and the fact that they are missing the key contacts. I wouldn't want to replace them with the cheap all-plastic stuff, so again I'm not sure that

A few years back, I was quoted $5000 to do a refurbishment (woodwork finishing, keyboards, and keyboard/pedalboard contact installation). I have limited income due to medical issues, so I didn't know if I arranged a bit more knowledge if I could save a bit on at least some of the refurbishment and do it a little bit at a time to at least make some progress on the instrument.

I'll have to post some photos here as I can't find the ones I previously had on this computer.
      Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
      Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
      - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
      Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

Comment

Working...
      X