another bizarre Allen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another bizarre Allen

This is one of the strangest consoles we've ever seen on ebay, harkening back to the 'late 1980s MADC model in a custom bleached blond wood version of the 1970s spaceship console' of the mid 2000s.
    What do we think? Did this church ask to have an old pipe organ console re-purposed by Allen, and after much begging and bribing, got their wish?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Desig...n/122498771821

Price is very out of touch, considering a true auction, no-reserve MDS-6 in a normal console just sold for $1000!* But of course, that's more of the same we are seeing with ebay recently...organs sitting there for months and months with totally pie in the sky prices that are at least 3 times what they will ever get.

* - and guess who got that one?

I guess I don't see anything bizarre about it at all. If you look at Allen Organ Company videos you see them building consoles all the time that match the wood species, stain color and design motifs of the church. Looking at those photos it seems like that is exactly what they did. Pay Allen enough and they will do what the buyer wants in the way of custom woodwork. That wild-looking theater console that was discussed on here last year comes to mind.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

It looks to be a variation on Allen's B console--with some custom woodwork.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I suppose what is odd, is I expect such cabinetry work on large custom organs (tonal wise I mean) not smaller standard models like the MDS-6.

In fact we've never seen a custom _console design_ on such a small organ, as opposed to a custom finish. There was a memorable ADC-3160 back in the mid 2000s, in glossy piano black, it sold for $5000 on ebay which was the most an MADC organ ever sold for on there. The smaller MADC I mentioned before (I think it was a 430 or 530) was at least a revival of a prior Allen console design, so not really "custom" in the way this is custom, trying to copy to look of an old pipe organ console.

And something about the wood finish looks odd and old fashioned, I'm still not sure Allen didn't shoehorn the parts of an MDS-6 into a non-Allen console body.

Comment

The nameplate says M.P. Moller by Allen. Perhaps a hybrid or a replacement console?
          -Admin

Allen 965
          Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
          Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by circa1949 View Post
            I suppose what is odd, is I expect such cabinetry work on large custom organs (tonal wise I mean) not smaller standard models like the MDS-6.
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Someone mentioned on another forum that he had asked about buying the pipes that were with it, and was told that there are none. I'm betting that either Allen or else a do-it-yourselfer literally transplanted the works of the MDS into an old pipe organ console. In places it even looks like they just slid the Allen console into the old console shell after hollowing it out.

The tab layout seems to be stock MDS-6. I'm thinking the Moller nameplate on there might be a red herring. Moller organs by Allen were a line of special hybrid organs, but they might have let the church stick the nameplate on there just to humor them.

I have to wonder if this was a church with some creaky old pipe organ, which an entrenched group did not want to let go of. To satisfy that group while sneaking in a new organ, they had to disguise the Allen in the console of the old organ. Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that's what happened.
              John
              ----------
              Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
              Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
              Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
              Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
              X