Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Renaissance Detroit Area

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/m...790589826.html
    I'm so poor, my cats get free health care!

Nearly the same as my current home organ. Mine is the R-230, this must be the R-250, as it has external speakers and a 32' stop. Excellent instrument. And it certainly cost a LOT more money than that 20 years ago. (Still may be overpriced for the used organ market, considering the current state of that market.)

Would be a great choice for a pretty big home 2-manual, or as a respectable small or medium-small church's organ. Drawback is that you really need DOVE and the expertise to use it properly to do a good job of voicing one of these. But this is basically the same tone generation system as current models.

John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I made an offer on this and it was rejected. They also were not offering the main speakers ( as they did not want to ruin the wall behind them ) and only offered four antiphonal speakers with the deal.

Comment

It may take a while before they reduce the price, but perhaps they will take a lower offer if they can't sell it in a reasonable time period for that price. They would be foolish to let it just sit there and possibly develop problems from disuse, making it even harder to sell. But as with any used item, the value is simply whatever the seller and buyer agree upon.

Too bad they aren't offering the primary speakers with it. But it depends on what the antiphonals happen to be. The 250 is a four-channel organ, and needs four full-size Allen cabinets to sound best. In many cases, the antiphonals were smaller cabinets, which would work, but might not do a good job on the lowest pedals. But you never know, the antiphonals might be another full-size set, in which case you would be home free.

The original primary speakers are probably HC-15's. The transition to the HR speakers took place at some point after the first Renaissance models came out, but I can't tell you the year. HC-15's are satisfactory for this model, as the 32' stop is a Contre Violone rather than the heftier Contre Bourdon. But the HR-200 would probably be better, if they were available at the time. There were also late MDS and early Renaissance organs sold with the fairly rare HC-18 cabinets, a short-lived design with a very hefty 15" driver by JBL (IIRC).

At any rate, you might find out what type of antiphonal cabinets they are offering with it. If they are full-size HC-15, HR-200, or HC-18, that does add somewhat to the value. But if they are small boxes, you'll almost surely want to buy some bigger ones for your setup, which could cost you another $1000 or more at best.
        John
        ----------
        Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
        Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
        Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
        Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
        X