George Wright Original Studio Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Wright Original Studio Recordings

I can't believe it, but I just found what appear to be some of George Wright's original studio recordings (reel-to-reel) for various albums. If you search eBay for the rest, you might find them. I wonder if they're selling them because the emulsion is starting to flake off?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14429682524...AAAOSwMtJhjbDT

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

William Coale, who is selling these tapes, has extensively researched and written several books about George Wright. He runs a web site called "The Genius of George Wright" ( https://www.geniusofgeorgewright.com/ ) where he sells CDs, music and other items. You can be assured that these tapes have been digitized. Some of the tracks were used for records and CDs but other tapes/tracks may not have been for commercial use.

Coale will be moving from California to Michigan in mid-2022 and his California-based business and online store is only open until the end of the year, with some items in limited availability. so if you see something on there you want, order it now. Otherwise it will be some time in later 2022 before he resumes selling from Michigan.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Larry,

Thank you for the information. However, these appear to be session recordings, and as you said, some were used and others were never used. To me, it's history that could/should be preserved.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• AllenAnalog
        AllenAnalog commented
        Editing a comment
        These days, transcription to a digital format is the best way to preserve older analog audio recordings. I have no doubt that has been very carefully done by Dr. Coale.

Each time you play an old analog reel-to-reel tape you degrade it. Physical handling of the tape, possible stretching or breakage, rewinding the tape if it was stored tails out, possible degradation of the magnetic data because of some residual permanent magnetism in the heads or transport guides, print-through, more oxide falling off - the list goes on.

The best transcription happens the first time you play an old tape, especially with regard to capturing the highest frequencies. After that it is downhill and further storage of the tape only continues the time-related degradation of the medium.

Maintaining optimum storage conditions for magnetic tape, especially when moving across the country, is difficult. I just had my Otari 5050 semi-professional tape deck refurbished by a specialty shop so I can begin my own transcription of personal tapes to digital format. I was very careful handling the tapes while moving them across the state.
    Working...
    X