Nice Allen Drawknob console available in Northeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Allen Drawknob console available in Northeast

There is a nice Allen MDS console available in Massachusetts, I believe it to be an MDS 65. It is on auction at https://www.auctionninja.com/your-mo...f-music-7.html. Current bid is only $260! Time is of the essence, but this is a great opportunity!
    Mike

My home organ is a circa 1990 Galanti Praeludium III, with Wicks/Viscount CM-100 module supplying extra voices. I also have an Allen MDS Theatre II (princess pedalboard!) with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Yes, that is my bid! ;-) Actually I visited it last week. It did not function properly. I put a new 3v battery in it but that still did not work. The problem is that the combo action does not work, and the swell indicators and the the tutti and crescendo indicators are all full on, and that is how it "plays" . Stops have no effect on it nor the swell pedals. I looked at it thoroughly and concluded the MN board is defective - about a $1K+ repair. Also all 12 of the midrange speakers need surround replacements - they are cracked or deteriorated. So saying it "works" is highly subjective.

I made an offer that was accepted, but then the church that wanted it backed out and so did I.
    However this auction changed the landscape. I'm in again.
    But... buyer beware!
    John
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Actually, the $260 bid is mine; you must have made the first bid. If what you say is true, then I don't want it. Also, I would have problems with the limited pickup time.
      Mike

My home organ is a circa 1990 Galanti Praeludium III, with Wicks/Viscount CM-100 module supplying extra voices. I also have an Allen MDS Theatre II (princess pedalboard!) with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Sorry I meant to say I put I the $250 bid and it jumped to $260. Look at the picture and you'll see the indicators are fully on. I don't know if you saw this link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

The shoes are not fully down and the panel is fully lit. I examined the speakers as they were original and it is a known fact that those surrounds deteriorate within 20 years. They showed spots and cracks. It's a big system. I'd PM you my phone # if you wanted to chat.
        Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Did this organ have the Contre Bourdon 32' or Contre Violone 32'?

Michael

• m&m's
          m&m's commented
          Editing a comment
          As I said above, the organ was originally listed on Marketplace as a MDS 65, and it had the ContraBourdon 32"

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          @m&m's,

Yes, I understand, but Allen made two (or more) philosophies of 32' stops–one was the Contre Violone 32' and the other was using the Contre Bourdon 32'. I was not familiar which Allen chose to use on that organ, or if it was an option left to the purchaser. I don't believe you stated it had a 32' Contre Bourdon before this post.

Michael

I'm not sure, but with a B40 cabinet I'll bet it had some kind of 32' stop!

Comment

It is indeed an MDS65 DK with 13 speakers, not 12. It used to be in someone's home. The internal console audio wiring had also been modified from original, perhaps to add an outdoor sound system?

Comment

Sold for $1,209.00. I wonder who the lucky duck was? I was thinking about it, but the price made me think otherwise for a defective organ. That said, I think the issues demo'd on John's FB page are probably more easily fixed than we think. I am curious how things turn out.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• circa1949
              circa1949 commented
              Editing a comment
              "the price made me think otherwise for a defective organ."
              Not necessarily. On a now defunct government surplus auction website, a 3 manual Renaissance organ sold for roughly $2000 about 10 years ago. The old geezers on the Allen yahoo group were beside themselves, of course. The reason a lot of auction websites haven't been able to compete with Ebay is they don't have the awareness and therefore (strict,true) auctions don't do well. A 3 man Renn. organ selling for only $2000 is probably part of the reason that website isn't around anymore.

I'm so sorry I missed this thread. The MDS-65 is kind of my dream model. But considering I only have time to play my MDS-45 once a month, if that, I'm probably not the one who 'deserved' it. Hope someone here got it and not the flipper!

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              "Flipper" didn't get it–it requires repairs, and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have the first clue how to fix the problem disclosed by John Vanderlee. Personally, I think with methodical troubleshooting, the fix is probably easy, as all the notes worked, obviously all the stops worked (sound-wise), but the combination action didn't. I don't think anyone performed a hard reset of the system, and that may have solved the issue. Guess I'll never know now!

Michael

Heard from the seller it's FF.

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm guessing, "It's not a handyman special. Everything works as intended."

I'll wait until it shows up on eBay and see what he's asking for it. :-(

Michael

• circa1949
              circa1949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops, I had missed the post where you described its problems. He must think there's a chance of doing a cheap repair and marking it up a lot.

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by John Vanderlee View Post
              Heard from the seller it's FF.
              Did you mean "Seller" or "Buyer?"

Michael

Between buying and shipping and repairs - and it might be the MN board - he'd have about $4 - 5K into it. So yes, I'm curious too as to it will be presented.
            Last edited by myorgan; 08-05-2022, 05:58 AM. Reason: Fixed NM board order

Comment

I NAILED IT!!! Here's the wording from the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18552710179...UAAOSwQo1i7Try. The ad is complete with pirated picture!
              This is an excellent organ for a practice instrument or for church use-- definitely NOT a fix-me-up, because everything works well and it sounds splendid. This has recently been inspected and all of the notes, pedals, pistons and stop controls are fully functional. The walnut console is in good condition with some signs of wear, consistent with its age. At 35.5 inches deep without pedals, this console will fit through almost any door.

Asking price: $17,500.00. I'm thinking of offering $400 to take it off his hands.😠 It would be worth more to me where it is rather than in Florida!

Michael
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

He is disgraceful. It's one thing to selling it truthfully, but outright lies?? I wrote him so on Ebay - told I'd report him - and will follow through. Although I doubt that it will help.
                John

Comment

Does Ebay have a policy on pirated pix? I wonder if Allen would be wiling to clamp down on him.

Comment

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Comment

"evil grin..."

Comment

Originally posted by John Vanderlee View Post
                        He is disgraceful. It's one thing to selling it truthfully, but outright lies?? I wrote him so on Ebay - told I'd report him - and will follow through. Although I doubt that it will help.
                        John
                        John,

Of course, you know you're the one who told him about the organ auction. He trolls this Forum and has an account here. This is one of his sources for "found" organs, in addition to Barton, FB Marketplace, and a handful of other places.

For that reason–and that reason alone, when I see an available organ for a good price, I contact people privately to let them know of its availability. Only when there is no interest do I post it publicly here–except Rodgers–I don't know of anyone who likes to buy them second hand. I also know you are one of his "defenders" here on the Forum because of your purchases from him. We've seen this behavior for more than a decade now.

My thought is that if no one had interest in the organ I could get it for whatever price, pick it up, repair it, and make it available to students or people here on the Forum. It was only a few hours from where I live. Pickup is rarely an option for me, but in this case, it was. Oh, well. Another one bites the dust (or mold, in his case)!

Michael

Comment

• myorgan
                          myorgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I owe you an apology, John. It was member @m&m's who posted the listing–not you. I should have checked the facts before posting.

Michael
                      Working...
                      X