This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nielsen - Commotio

It's been a long while, almost 2 years, since I visited this great forum. Shame on me ! Should really take more time to hang around here as there is a lot to be learnt for a relative newbie like me.</P>

Just wondering if any of you know and/or play Commotio by Carl Nielsen. I am very fond of Nielsen, who wrote marvellous symphonies, tone pictures, chamber- and piano music, but only one organ work, which however seems to be very important and original. But I've never heard this piece, it's not even on YouTube </P>

If anybody could direct me to a recording I'd be much obliged.</P>

BTW - Does this forum have an option so you get email notification when someone replies on a thread you are watching ? I could not find that last time.</P>

Cheers,</P>

Chris</P>

Re: Nielsen - Commotio

He actually wrote 5 or 6 pieces for organ, plus a collection of 29 small preludes for organ or harmonium.</P>

Sorry, I can't help with the recording question.</P>

Comment

[quote user="regeron"]

He actually wrote 5 or 6 pieces for organ, plus a collection of 29 small preludes for organ or harmonium.</P>

Sorry, I can't help with the recording question.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Thanks for the reply ! yes no you mention, I've seenthat collection of 29, butthey are manualiter. Wasn't aware he wrote
      more 'real' organ piecesthan Commotio. I'll need to check up on that !</P>

BTW -I see this forum DOES have email notification now. Great !</P>

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't find it with an Internetsearch... here is a link showing three recordings: hbdirect.</P>

I have the Christopher Herrick album, but it has been a while since I listened to it.</P>

Oh... I just found another link, showing five more recordings - as well as the sheet music too! It is located on imslp.</P>

I also recommend the Nielsen Preludes- they are very handy for church services.</P>

Comment

Thanks Soubasse. I did already download the sheet music from IMSLP, and I knew that Bowyer and others have recorded it.</P>

I guess I'm a cheapskate and was looking for a free mp3 just to find out what this sounds like. One gets so used to finding almost anything one wants to hear on YouTube.</P>

Thanks for the tip about the Preludes. Certainly a collection of short manualiter pieces would come in very handy and make a welcome change from the mostly Baroque things I do in services. I'm sure I saw that score somewhere once but I can't remember where it was - not IMSLP. </P>

Comment

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2004/0406/

Comment

Wow, thank you so much second_astronaut ! (sorry, don't know any real names here).</P>

And the Bowyer recording as well. I'm listening to it now. What great music, marvellously played. Thanks again !</P>

Comment

Working...
              X