This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking in the Air / Oxford Book of Christmas Organ Music

I have a CD ... Christmas Organ Music by Kevin Bowyer at Chichester Cathedral. One of the tracks is "Walking in the Air" from The Snowman. It's a stunning arrangement for organ. Blew my socks off.

The book "Oxford Book of Christmas Organ Music" has the notes for organ and the book itself has the same cover art as the Christmas Organ Music CD, but that may just be a coincidence.

There are baziilions of cheapo EZ play versions of Walking in the Air out there. I'd like to learn to play it like the CD (or at least any "substantial" arrangement).

The book is not cheap, twenty-six dollars, and it pains me to buy the whole book for just that one song, but I don't find any single sheets anywhere of this song that look to be substantial.

Can anyone advise? Anyone know of a substantial arrangement for organ?

-Neumie

email: personal92082 [at] yahoo dot com

Last edited by Neumie; 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM.

Drat, I went and look it up and then impulse bought it on ebay!
    Martin Hartley
    Choral Scholar at St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta, Australia
    Student at Campion College, Australia
    Assistant Organist at St Margaret Mary's Catholic Church, Merrylands, Australia

The Novice Organist: http://noviceorganist.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Well, there's $26 you'll never see again.

I hope you at least learn the songs.

And you have my email address in case you want to play Santa this year.

:->

-N

Comment

I didn't buy it just for Walking in the Air. I've been buying Organ Music of various types and difficulty levels in preparation for the coming years of music playing. A lot of hymnals don't have satisfactory Carol selections in my eyes.
        Martin Hartley

Comment

That's great, HM. I'm glad I was able to nudge a purchase that seems right for you. I hope a lot of these songs spring to life under your fingers.

-N

Comment

By the way, if anyone knows of where a PDF of this arrangement of "Walking in the Air" can be found, please let me know. I'd be happy to buy a single sheet of the arrangement, or even better, find it free online somewhere ... but I know I most likely would not use the rest of the book. My email address is in the original post.

Comment

I'm afraid both the original song and any arrangement will be copyright.

You can contact OUP and ask if they will sell you a licence to copy this piece.

The book is a good collection of Christmas music if you haven't already built up your own collection. I used it quite a lot this year.

Comment

I got mine in the post today. I must say that I'm glad I impulse-bought it! There is a heap of really good music there by the looks of it. It isn't a carol collection, but it really is an instrumental sort of collection. Lots of good preludes that I can even use outside of the Christmas season.

The first piece of music I tried was "Walking in the Air" and it looks like a good arrangement. Though, with the way that the bass part is structured, my left hand has finally had its identity crisis!
                Martin Hartley

Comment

Working...
                X