This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organ shoes

Can someone one tell me if resin soles are good for organ playing??

First of all, let me clarify that I'm NOT a professional organist by any means so this is just my opinion and also what I have picked up from observation.... I play some theater organ and liturgical organ and have a home theater organ as well.

By "resin", I'm assuming that you mean a rubber type material? I don't think this type material would lend itself to good pedal techniques as the soles would tend to "grab" or not slide from pedal to pedal as would a softer, leather sole.

I use organist's shoes. These are relatively inexpensive shoes (I got mine from Organ Master Shoes ) which have a narrower width, softer leather sole and raised heel. Once you've played in regular organist's shoes, you'll never go back to regular shoes!

Just my .02 cents worth

Comment

I've had my Organ Master's for years. I just get them fixed when something happens. Only thing so far is the glue on the soles.
      Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
      Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

I bought organmaster shoes a few years ago and love them - light on the feet and really easy to slide across the pedal board. Remember to never wear them for general use - you'll wreck the soft leather soles.
        Craig Keller
        Gerringong, Australia
        Owner of a Technics FA-1

Secretary, Theatre Organ Society of Australia (NSW Division)
        www.tosa.net.au

President, Australia-Felix Chapter, American Theatre Organ Society

Comment

I wish they had them in loafers or side-gusset though. I hate tying shoes.
          Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
          Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

Originally posted by Tutti View Post
            I wish they had them in loafers or side-gusset though. I hate tying shoes.
            Yes that is their only downfall. It's a pain when you have to switch between normal and organ shoes. I've been thinking of substituting some round elastic instead of laces so they can more easily slip on.
            Craig Keller
            Gerringong, Australia
            Owner of a Technics FA-1

Secretary, Theatre Organ Society of Australia (NSW Division)
            www.tosa.net.au

President, Australia-Felix Chapter, American Theatre Organ Society

Comment

Originally posted by Tutti View Post
              I've had my Organ Master's for years. I just get them fixed when something happens. Only thing so far is the glue on the soles.
              Ditto to everything said so far (including the glue). I have two pairs--one at home I use for periodic performances, and one at church where I play regularly.

I've noticed that with the shoes being made outside America, quality and consistency have suffered. My first pair I purchased in 1981 lasted me for decades, but I recently purchased more about 5-6 years ago. I have, however, had one pair repaired because the leather part of the sole overlapped by approximately 1/8", and began causing the leather to separate from the shoe. Quick trip to a local shoe guy, and they were repaired.

They are a "must have," and those who try to substitute (I believe) are working too hard to keep from giving OrganMaster their business. They provide a good quality product, and it is as good as the description given them by the consumer.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

No one is supposed to use "regular shoes"; a few organists, such as the late Thomas Matthews did manage to pedal
                elegantly and correctly with street shoes.

Comment

I bought a pair of Organmasters after I purchased my first organ, a Wurly Model 20. Shortly afterwards my brother visited us and show him my "new" shoes and he said "*#@#$#@#@#, they should have sent you a purse as well!!!"
                  Allen T 12B

Comment

I have a pair of Organmaster men's shoes for sale, size 8 1/2, lightly worn. If interested contact me off-Forum at jan@theorgangrinder.net

. . . Jan
                    the OrganGrinder

Comment

I see that there is another company doing organ shoes:
                      http://www.tictactoes.com/dance/mens_organist.htm

There's some interesting information on this page:
                      http://www.organ.byu.edu/ORSHOE.html

Comment

Organmasters are now "imported" according to the website. I'm of the opinion I already own enough c****** trash. I really don't care how nice the salepeople are, that is how we ended up with all the churches around here owning Yamaha pianos, Roland & Korg keyboards. They should import the men required to sing the hymns, American men are obsolete.
                        From the previous ad, obviously every body has the same width feet- except me. I was practicing JS Bach in moccasins custom made for my B width feet in Friendship Indiana but the organ teacher was animated on the subject of needing heels. I've since converted to A width Florsheim loafers I inherited from my Grandfather. A bit tight but I won't be walking in them.
                        city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

I found a pair of shoes, of the appropriate shape/style, at a local thrift shop for $0.50. I took them to the shop shop and had suede glued on the soles and heels.

Made for an inexpensive way to get into my first organ shoes, and a good guarantee that I won't ever wear them on the street.

LCO

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
                            I was practicing JS Bach in moccasins custom made for my B width feet in Friendship Indiana but the organ teacher was animated on the subject of needing heels.
                            indianajo,

My early teachers were of similar mindset, but I tossed the heels over 40 years ago, in favour of unrestricted freedom!! While I prefer sox-only, and I know a lot of organists who concur; if I want to get really formal, I will sometimes condescend to wear moccassins. And there is nothing at all wrong with that!

While some organ teachers might teach the toe-heel method, the purists out there, still advocate adherence to time-honoured toe-toe method. One of my favourite contemporary organists is Willeke Smits, a student of Olivier Latry who embraces the toe-toe method, and instead of wearing organ shooz, wears dance slippers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHr0i...eature=related

I can't imagine where this weird "organ shoes" cult ever originated.
                            2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
                              Organmasters are now "imported" according to the website..
                              I didn't realize this and went to the website to find out where they were imported from but couldn't find any mention of them being imported. I don't doubt they're imported, are any shoes today not imported?, but I'm wondering if I'm not seeing a page you saw or just going blind.
                              -Admin

Allen 965
                              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                              X