This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Organ Recordings (Add Yours!)

I was thinking about how everyone just assumes full organ sounds the same on every organ, including keyboard manufacturers. We know this isn't true, but I'd be interested to hear how different 'full organ' sounds on organs from different countries, eras and builders.

I thought it'd be fun if some people added, or linked to, their recordings (or recordings by people they know).

...I also like loud organ music, a lot, and might find out some new loud pieces along the way...

I'll start off with a quick little recording I took today at Beccles.
    Organ: Mostly 1938 Rushworth and Dreaper / 1880 E.W Norman (original name of Hill, Norman & Beard).
    Piece: Elgar's "Triumphal March" from Caractacus (excerpt).

FO Trimphal March from Caractacus (Elgar) Excerpt.mp3

Nice sound! I hope others will contribute their own "tutti". (I don't play a pipe organ, so a tutti on my Allen would be something of a different character.)
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I don't think I should post my tutti, considering I only have 5 stops available
      But it's a great idea, thanks, Jonathan! I will try my recording equipment and see how it goes. Who knows, I might even join in with a recording one day.

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post
        I don't think I should post my tutti, considering I only have 5 stops available
        If there's some reeds, mixtures or mutations (ie not all flutes), then why not? I was playing a very small, one manual Victorian organ today as practise for a Sunday service (not tuned to equal temperament - confused me greatly!) but even with just one reed and mixture, it had a very fun sound, full of character. It was also surprisingly loud!

The comparison with the tiny bit of Triumphal March it could handle was very interesting, and still extremely pleasant and not lacking in any way whatsoever, although of course sounding extremely different.

Comment

I have 8' Gedackt, 8' Salicional, 4' Flute and 4' Principal. And the 16' Subbass. Will check my recording equipment and see what I can do. The organ is loud enough for our small church, and for the usually low number of singers, that's for sure

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful sound!
              John
              ----------
              Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
              Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches

Comment

Thanks for sharing that - what a sound! That organ has a very strong reed sound, much like at Redenhall, which I'd guess was a popular style of organ building throughout the 1800s. I don't know too much about other countries (showing my naivety), but it seems that British organ got much duller and more 'refined/constrained' quite quickly during the 20th Century. I've heard a few exceptions to that rule, as well as some extremely exciting and beautiful sounding organs that aren't as firery as Victorian instruments (mostly all Walker organs), but it seems the Brits lost that iconic, reedy Victorian sound! It seems other countries, on the whole, didn't go quite as dull as many 20th Century British organs, however.

I do love the reverberation you get at the end of that clip too!

Comment

Comment

That is a truly stunning organ, and certainly is one of those British exceptions which doesn't belong with the rest! I was there only last month to attend an organ day with several recitalists, including Olivier Latry. The sound of that instrument is perfect for the acoustic, which is insane with 3 domes in the enormous chapel. Hearing speech clearly in that chapel is a problem though! Fortunately, it's only about an hour's drive away from me, so I will be attending many more recitals there. The organist there also quite frequently performs on one of the instruments I regularly use.

One day in Beccles, I was practising Noel Rawsthorne's 'Hornpipe Humoresque', and a man comes up to me saying how appropriate, as there were a load of ex-Navy members looking round the church at the time! It turns out he was the retired headteacher of the Royal Hospital School, who said the organ at Beccles sounded very powerful and absolutely delightful - I was honoured, as he is so used to that incredible instrument at Holbrook! He retold the story of when the organ was built: The school asked Norman & Beard to build a pipe organ, to which Norman & Beard asked what the budget was. The school said 'We're acting on behalf of the Royal Family and the Navy, and we want an organ!' Norman & Beard just took that to mean build the biggest instrument possible, which I think they succeeded marvellously. Not many instruments that impressive are roughly 80 years old and nearly all original.

Comment

I'll go through some older recordings, if you can excuse the sometimes not so good recordings.

Comment

I'm a noob and this is my first post. This is a chorale prelude from Max Reger's op. 67, using full organ through mixtures and 16/8 reeds, bringing on all reeds and pedal 32 faggotto on last phrase. 57 rank Austin, Atlanta.

http://youtu.be/Zddt3htP1EM

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McMahan View Post
                          I'm a noob and this is my first post. This is a chorale prelude from Max Reger's op. 67, using full organ through mixtures and 16/8 reeds, bringing on all reeds and pedal 32 faggotto on last phrase. 57 rank Austin, Atlanta.
                          Matt,

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for the recording! It's always nice to have more organists to add to the pool of knowledge here.

When you did your recording, did you add reverb, or is that the natural reverb in the organ's placement? I do envy your 32' Reed. Again, thank you for sharing, and welcome.

Michael
                          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Michael,
                            no reverb added, that's the sound of the room, empty. Thanks.

Matt

Comment

We should take up a collection to get Michael a 32' reed!

Nice sounds, Matt, and what a glorious organ that must be in such a lovely sonic environment.

Please continue to post. i hope you'll enjoy our little community of dedicated organ fans.
                              John
                              ----------

Comment

Working...
                              X