This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Young: Prelude in Classic Style

This delightful composition has been mentioned prior on this forum. One of my friends from The Anglican Music Forum brought this to our attention. (He is also a member here.)

It is not remotely difficult to play (if you cannot read it at sight you're then playing it too fast) and works wonderfully on a small two manual. (Guilty as charged: I've used it. [;)])

Cheers and enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LATp8_tWGnw

Re: Gordon Young: Prelude in Classic Style

This is a wonderful little piece, and I'm quite surprised that I've never truly heard it before.

Would sound great on some of the historic Italian/Sicilian instruments we have here.

Comment

Re: Gordon Young: Prelude in Classic Style

This is a delightful piece. I never knew about it until someone mentioned it on the forum a couple of months ago. I've used it, and it's a crowd pleaser. I always get comments from people about how much they like it.

Comment

Jason,

Another delightful composition is:

Festive Trumpet Tune
        David German
        BG0920
        Organ Solo (Festival Trumpet Stop/Tuba) or Organ, Bb Trumpet
        Fred Bock Music Dompany
        distributed by Hal Leonard

Comment

Yes, that's a fun piece that everyone seems to like. In a church setting, it works well as a postlude; too bad "Prelude" is in the title (When I was in college, the organist of the church I attended played it for her postlude one Sunday, but the title in the bulletin was listed as "Allegro." I was probably the only one in the congregation who noticed!).
          A couple of other G. Young pieces I like that are in a similar style include "Divertissement" and "The Happy Trumpeter." Both make great postludes.

Comment

I like many of Gordon Young's pieces, but somehow I missed that one. I was able to D/L the sheet music for Prelude in Classic Style at http://www.organmusiconly.com/pdf/lorenz-70_1330l.pdf
            It's FREE!

Gary
            Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by gsneide View Post
              I like many of Gordon Young's pieces, but somehow I missed that one. I was able to D/L the sheet music for Prelude in Classic Style at http://www.organmusiconly.com/pdf/lorenz-70_1330l.pdf
              It's FREE!

Gary
              Is it legal?

In any case it seems to be a simplified version (I haven't got my copy here) which I would avoid.
              Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I need to find my Gordon Young book that I bought in the early 1970s and hope that this piece is in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterboroughdiapason View Post
                  Is it legal?

In any case it seems to be a simplified version (I haven't got my copy here) which I would avoid.
                  Regarding legality, I assumed a commercial seller wouldn't allow a free download if it wasn't legal.

Yes, it appears to be a Dorothy Wells arrangement of the piece. Not being familiar with it, and not having GY's original, I have no idea how similar they are. Perhaps it is a case of, "You get what you pay for."
                  Gary

Comment

My wife and I chose this for our wedding - the church had a fine Allen with some very nice alterable voice cards, so I talked it over with the organist. Unfortunately, on the day, she played it around half speed! :'(

I was given a photocopy nearly 40 years ago, when it was unavailable in the UK. Used it for years, but then went 'legit' as I was given a copy by the UK rights holder.
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

There are a number of versions of this delightful piece on Youtube. I think this one takes some beating:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDRWA...eature=related

John Reimer

Comment

a delightful piece: http://www.reuter822.com/2010/youngprelude.html it really sounds nice on almost any registration! :)

Comment

I really like both , J Reimer and NYC Farmboy! Interesting registrations in the latter, and I like the tempo of the former.
                          Gary

Comment

Prelude in Classic Style is a must have for any organist's repertoire because its dead easy to play (very sight readable) and sounds delightful - even pro's like Carlo Curley has it on some of his CDs. Ideal for those emergency situations where you might be called on to play at a service and don't have anything prepared to play at the end. More so if you are performing on an unknown instrument as this piece doesn't require complicated registrations or exotic stops!

That free PDF version appears to be accurate to original version as I have the one from Sacred Music Press. The only difference being that there is a separate stave for the pedal part in the SMP edition.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/...c-Style/466923

----
                            I'd also like to echo CLK1954's recommendation of David German's Festival Trumpet Tune. I have Rob Steffanussen to thank for introducing me to that piece. It always goes down a storm. Its not as easy to play as the Gordon Young piece as there are a few tricky rhythms here and there but most competant organists should have it learnt to performance standard within 2-3 weeks.

----

Finally, does anyone know what publication I can find this Gordon Young piece in? He appears to have written several "Trumpet Voluntarys" so I don't really want to buy several books to find the right one

1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
                            Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Originally posted by nullogik View Post
                              Prelude in Classic Style is a must have for any organist's repertoire because its dead easy to play (very sight readable) and sounds delightful - even pro's like Carlo Curley has it on some of his CDs. Ideal for those emergency situations where you might be called on to play at a service and don't have anything prepared to play at the end. More so if you are performing on an unknown instrument as this piece doesn't require complicated registrations or exotic stops!

That free PDF version appears to be accurate to original version as I have the one from Sacred Music Press. The only difference being that there is a separate stave for the pedal part in the SMP edition.
                              No, I don't think so. I haven't got my copy here, but I'm pretty sure the tricky arpeggios are simplified. And just check the first pedal note - a minim instead of two crotchets.

Play the piece (which is certainly attractive, if fairly banal) as written - or leave it alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X