Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who/what are we not playing enough of? Who are your "forgotten masters"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of your latest picks are great, Leisesturm, but you hit it out of the park with Denis Bedard and Dom Paul Benoit. I've been playing Benoit's stuff for years, and the best of it is magic. I only recently discovered Denis Bedard, but I hope to become much more familiar with his stuff in the new year. What a gift he has!

Tony
    Home: Johannus Opus 370

Comment

Originally posted by DEWII View Post
      C.V. Stanford - while not unknown as a composer (The Blue Bird and Beati Quorum Via are quite popular), in my corner of the world Stanford's organ music (and many of his other works, but that's another post...) are unknown, and professionally deemed unworthy of academic study.
      A few of my favorite organ works are Op. 189: No. 4, Intermezzo Founded upon an Irish Air, Op. 105: No. 6, Postlude in D Minor, and Op. 182: No. 3, At Easter-tide.
      I'm so glad you posted this. Am a Stanford FREAK -- do you, I trust, know his two wonderful sets of 6 Short Preludes and Postludes? Am not familiar at all with Steane or Price, but kudos on your mention of Stainer. There's some nice music scattered through his The Organ, including a couple of short invention-like pieces I enjoy using as fillers in services. Indeed I mandate going through all method books one has and exploiting them this way, even kid stuff by Gillock! IMHO the Gleason is pretty worthless outside of about 7-8 numbers in that homemade-looking calligraphy.

If Stainer has notable organ works elsewhere, bring them on.

Comment

I am also liking Stanford. There's a plethora of Organ works of CV Stanford on IMSLP

Comment

Originally posted by Piperdane View Post
          I am also liking Stanford. There's a plethora of Organ works of CV Stanford on IMSLP
          Really? That's good to know. I'm also a fan. I might go to hell for saying this, but ... If the Devil came to Portland and his asking price for my being a first rate organist with Gerre Hancock's chops was that I could NEVER play J.S. Bach or any other Baroque composer ever again, but could play all the Stainer, Stanford, Parry, Howells, Whitlock, and Vaughan-Williams I wanted ... it wouldn't be that hard of a choice ...

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Jules View Post

I'm so glad you posted this. Am a Stanford FREAK -- do you, I trust, know his two wonderful sets of 6 Short Preludes and Postludes? Am not familiar at all with Steane or Price, but kudos on your mention of Stainer. There's some nice music scattered through his The Organ, including a couple of short invention-like pieces I enjoy using as fillers in services. Indeed I mandate going through all method books one has and exploiting them this way, even kid stuff by Gillock! IMHO the Gleason is pretty worthless outside of about 7-8 numbers in that homemade-looking calligraphy.

If Stainer has notable organ works elsewhere, bring them on.
            I am a big fan of the Short Preludes and Postludes: I am especially fond of Op. 105-6 (the very Gothic cathedral-evoking D Minor postlude) Op. 105-5 (an unusually playful, almost capricious trio), 105-2 (a stout postlude on a Gibbons theme), and 101-1 (a light, Celtic-infused work), but they are all gems in their own right.

I also second the relative uselessness of the Gleason, as well as picking through any method book you can find. I am particular partial to Eddy and Dickinson.

IMSLP has proven to be a great resource for organ music; the "color" albums, the Bonnet collections, the William Carl collections, and The Village Organist (mostly edited by Stainer) are great places to look for older music. The Sibley Library's online collection is of similar ilk.

Other sources (though not as concise as IMSLP or the Sibley) include Google Books and HathiTrust.

Comment

Thanks for the ample reply -- and not just because you agree with me IMSLP et al are indeed magical treasure chests -- endless variety and excitement there. When the color albums are good, they're good all right -- complete Meistersinger prelude etc and solid printing.

Comment

Originally posted by DEWII View Post
                IMSLP has proven to be a great resource for organ music; the "color" albums, the Bonnet collections, the William Carl collections, and The Village Organist (mostly edited by Stainer) are great places to look for older music. The Sibley Library's online collection is of similar ilk.

What are the "color" albums?
                Last edited by myorgan; 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM. Reason: Repair quote.
                Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

https://imslp.org/wiki/Red_Album_of_...rgan_(Various)
                  https://imslp.org/wiki/Yellow_Album_...rgan_(Various)

etc..... I see the Yellow has the most sensational of all Widor rarities, the Marche Nuptiale from his Contes d'Avril. Anybody who reads these words is duty-bound to learn, perform and redeploy it!

Comment

• voet
                    voet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the links. I will enjoy looking at these gems from the past.

• DEWII
                    DEWII commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My apologies, voet. I typed my post on my phone, and had every intention of going back to do a slight edit and add hyperlinks. When I was able to get back to my computer, I found that I was unable to do so (maybe because it was quoted). I'm glad Victor was able to steer you in the right direction.

I also discovered other color albums of 20 organ pieces: Black, Blue, Brown, Golden, Gray, and Silver. All of them are on IMSLP. Happy browsing.
                  Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

• samibe
                    samibe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I found that there are Buff, Green, Orange, and Purple albums too. I couldn't find a pdf of Buff and I only found one song from the Orange and Purple albums. I'm looking forward to printing them and playing my way through them. (Or maybe I'll play through them and print my favorites.)
                    Last edited by samibe; 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM.

So glad y'all found them of interest. Right, DEWII?

Comment

• DEWII
                    DEWII commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course. I'm glad to have been in some small measure helpful to both the music and musicians.

Originally posted by voet View Post
                  I also discovered other color albums of 20 organ pieces: Black, Blue, Brown, Golden, Gray, and Silver. All of them are on IMSLP. Happy browsing.
                  So many -- great! If only the people who put these books together almost 100 years ago could see the interest they're generating -- in black and white

Comment

Originally posted by voet View Post
                    So far I have the Clack, Blue, Brown, Golden, Gray, Red, and Yellow. I'll have to look for the Silver version. Good repertoire to have on hand!

Comment

• Victor Jules
                      Victor Jules commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gee, that only leaves the aquamarine, heliotrope, vermilion, crimson, mauve, puce, lavender and chartreuse albums not covered yet

Enjoy the treasure hunt -- and please, PLEASE y'all share your best finds from them right here, as well as any comments that performing them (e.g. in services) brings. WE NEED TO DISCUSS REPERTOIRE MORE!

• myorgan
                      myorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Victor,

This is the place to do it!

Michael

Thanks guys, glad to get the 411 on all these groovy gems when my Pastor wants to go "Praise and Worship" ...

Comment

I'm almost halfway through the Black album so far. Very well written/arranged/edited pieces. My favorites thus far are: An Evening Reverie (even though I played it way slower than indicated), Impromptu in Db, and Beethoven's Symphony 7 II. I made an arrangement of Sym. 7 II a few years ago for organ but the one in this book is way better. All of the pieces have suggested registrations, and indications for when to change manuals or registrations.
                      Sam
                      Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                      Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

And edited by Reginald Goss-Custard -- just love that name It ends with a Merkel piece, and Merkel is always good. The Guilmant 'Noƫl Ʃcossais' is of course on the same Scottish folk tune as Purvis' immortal Christmas anthem 'What Strangers Are These'.

Comment

Working...
                        X