Some Christmas organ music.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Christmas organ music.

Musuc featuring the organ at Temple square. Some choir, but mostly organ. There is some fine pedalwork on the third or fourth song and again about 22 minutes in. A bit long, but well worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/82szYn-CPGk

Wonderful music. Thanks for the link !
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

Comment

Recorded on our Klais instrument at First United Methodist Church of Richardson, Texas by our talented Organist Mary Lightfoot:

https://app.box.com/file/368913666

https://app.box.com/file/368913632)

David

Comment

David, Is there any chance you could post the recordings somewhere that doesn't require a subscription account to listen?
        Sam
        Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
        Church: Allen MDS-5
        Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Comment

I just tried to upload them to my Gallery here but they are too large (8MB each) and won't load. I have added them to Dropbox--maybe you can get to them there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp8u5mm9uw...ubilo.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdtb8pybax...20God.mp3?dl=0

Comment

It looks like those links will work for me. I look forward to listening to them later tonight.

Edit: That was fun to listen to. Thanks for sharing. Is there sheet music available for these songs?
            Last edited by samibe; 12-05-2018, 11:52 PM.
            Sam
            Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
            Church: Allen MDS-5
            Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Comment

Thanks for sharing these, David. I really like her registration on "In Dulci Jubilo" and the Virgil Fox arrangement of Bach's "Nun danket alle Gott" sounds really good on that organ.
              Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

Comment

Does anyone here know who musicologists actually attribute that version of "In Dulci Jubilo" to? No scholar of Bach's organ music believes that it is actually Bach, unless it is something he wrote when he was 12 years old. But it is delightful, all right. I'd love to know to whom it is "attributed".

Tony
                  Home: Johannus Opus 370

Comment

Tony, scholars now attribute this to Johann Michael Bach.

In the Wikipedia article they identify him thus:

...a German composer of the Baroque period. He was the brother of Johann Christoph Bach, as well as first cousin, once removed and father-in-law of Johann Sebastian Bach (he was the father of J.S. Bach's first wife Maria Barbara Bach). He is sometimes referred to as the "Gehrener Bach" to distinguish him from the "Wuppertaler Bach", Johann Michael Bach (1745–1820).

Later in the article:

His most-performed work is the small chorale prelude for organ, In Dulci Jubilo, which for many years was attributed to J. S. Bach (it was ascribed the catalog number BWV 751).

I am not sure when the attribution was corrected or by whom. I hope that helps.
                    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for, Bill. Gracias.

Tony
                      Home: Johannus Opus 370

Comment

Originally posted by voet View Post
                        Tony, scholars now attribute this to Johann Michael Bach.

In the Wikipedia article they identify him thus:

...a German composer of the Baroque period. He was the brother of Johann Christoph Bach, as well as first cousin, once removed and father-in-law of Johann Sebastian Bach (he was the father of J.S. Bach's first wife Maria Barbara Bach). He is sometimes referred to as the "Gehrener Bach" to distinguish him from the "Wuppertaler Bach", Johann Michael Bach (1745–1820).

Later in the article:

His most-performed work is the small chorale prelude for organ, In Dulci Jubilo, which for many years was attributed to J. S. Bach (it was ascribed the catalog number BWV 751).

I am not sure when the attribution was corrected or by whom. I hope that helps.
                        There are (now) two sources: the Leipzig one just says "di Bach", so could have been any of them. However the recently discovered Neumeister copy attributes it clearly to J.M. Bach (though he is not known to have written anything like it).

It's been suggested that the "carillon" figure at bars 18 and 54 could be played on a glockenspiel stop such as was known in Thuringia.

Comment

Working...
                        X