Silent film with strait organ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent film with strait organ

The Italian organist Paolo Oreni who I had mentioned a few months back in a thread I posted about anywhere organs recently accompanied a silent film using his portable pipe organ which is kind of unique to see done in the classical organ world.

The movie shown is a 1926 adaptation of the story of Faust which is probably better remembered from the opera adaptation by Charles Gounod.

One thing I have to say is man both the film and Oreni's performance I find kind of gloomy, to the point that it makes silent film version of Phantom of the opera (which I unfortunately have only seen bits of) look like a Chaplin film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQXHQg5XUaU
    Last edited by Admin; 01-05-2019, 05:30 AM.

The performance seemed off to me as well. I skimmed through it and had several thoughts about the performance being off, though.
    • I observed a fair bit of using the whole tone and pentatonic scales.
    • I observed liberal use of jazz chords vs. standard chords.
    • I observed (maybe it was my laptop computer) a tremendous amount of treble in the recording, making it sound strident most of the time.
    • (re-typing missing part of post)I observed little dynamic control other than changing of stops, but that could be because the pipes were unenclosed.
    • What I heard used straight pipe tone, and I missed a theatre vibrato which might have mitigated some of the high pitches.
    I've forgotten the rest of what I posted, but it boiled down to basic differences between theatre organs and straight classical pipe organs. However, I'm open to a new way of accompanying silent film and seeing if it works.

Michael
    Last edited by myorgan; 01-05-2019, 06:12 AM. Reason: Re-type half of post deleted when posted.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a known issue on Apple mobile devices that's causing entered text to be deleted. This issue may also affect Apple products running OS X. See this thread for more information and a solution. https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...hes-on-uk-ipad

Yes, I was not expecting anyone to actually watch the performance from start to finish.

Comment

Working...
    X