This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance practice question...

When I was in undergraduate school I remember playing some music by Jean-Jacques Grunenwald, which I loved. Sadly, I lost the music somewhere along the way and woman I studied with died several years ago in a tragic car accident. I believe the work was "Quatre Elevations", although I'm not completely sure.</P>

I remember a section in the music marked "en dehors" which my teacher informed me meant to play the so-marked musical line a shade behind the beat. It did create a stunning effect in the piece, once I perfected the technique.</P>

I'd like to find a copy of the music (first of all, to see if it's the one I remember) and add this back in my repertoire. I've been doing some research on the 'net, but I've been unable to find anything to corroborate my teacher's interpretation of this musical term. The best I've come up with is that the term simply means to play the line "emphasized". </P>

Does anyone have insight on the meaning of "en dehors" in French organ music?</P>

Re: Performance practice question...

You have very good taste in organ music.[:)] Grunenwald was also a brilliant player.</P>

En dehors means to 'bring out'that partof the music - to emphasize it.</P>

Playing behind the beat? Never! [:O]</P>

Comment

Certainly en dehors suggests an extra freedom with tempo to me, and not being exactly on the beat with the line marked. My teacher has suggested this technique once or twice, but I think it's fair to say it should be used sparingly!!

Comment

Hmm... [^o)]</P>

Again I must disagree - I think Anglophones confuse the term en dehors (literally 'on the outside' - meaningemphasized, orprominently) with en dehors de (outside, apart from, as in 'out of tempo').</P>

I always admit that I could be wrong, but will also admit to years of piano lessons complètement en français. [8-|]</P>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

Hmm... [^o)]</p>

Again I must disagree - I think Anglophones confuse the term en dehors (literally 'on the outside' - meaningemphasized, orprominently) with en dehors de (outside, apart from, as in 'out of tempo').</p>

I always admit that I could be wrong, but will also admit to years of piano lessons complètement en français. [8-|]</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

At this point I should say that what it means to me and what it means in reality are quite likely to be wildly different. I have a history of getting this stuff wrong! I'm quite happy to bow to Soubasse's superior knowledge (in this and in many other matters!!)</p>

Si</p>

Comment

Working...
          X