Christmas Cheer with percussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Cheer with percussion

Found this video of a festive holiday piece with percussion on Contrebombarde last night. Steve Schlessing (a/k/a Keys61) is a very talented organist who teamed up with Keith Claeys from Wayne State University to create this unique collaboration via the Internet.

Steve is using a Hauptwerk V VPO sample set of an American Classic organ on his Allen theater organ for this piece. The pedal reed is quite outstanding. This collaboration is not quite as dramatic as the Gigout Toccata piece recently posted on here but the rhythm coordination between remote sites is certainly impressive.

Steve had his grand piano retrofitted with a solenoid player system so he can play it from the organ. You can see and hear more classical and theater organ performances by Steve at these links:

https://www.youtube.com/user/keys61ss/videos

https://www.contrebombarde.com/conce...er/973/uploads
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Larry,

Now you've whet my appetite. When I get everything set in the garage, I hope to be able to do these sorts of performances. The split screen is another matter all together.

Michael
    Last edited by myorgan; 12-29-2020, 09:09 AM. Reason: Fix spelling.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
      Steve is using a Hauptwerk V VPO sample set of an American Classic organ on his Allen theater organ for this piece.
      Thanks for sharing this, Larry. It is amazing what people are able to accomplish remotely. Do you know which American Classic sample set he used?
      Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Steve described this custom sample set in his first post on Contrebombarde that used it.

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/41187
        Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

I was so taken with the sound of the pedal reed stop he uses starting at 2:06 that I contacted Steve to see which stop it was. He checked his registration and said it was the 16' Posaune from the Aeolian-Skinner Opus 1301 sample set by Sonus Paradisi. To use the technical terms, It has a great full-bodied "honk" without being obnoxious. Haha.

A quick look at ADC stop lists shows a 16' Posaune in the pedal division of every model from the 4000 up to the 7000. Starting with the 7300 model and up to the 9300, including x000 models (but also on my 5300) it is replaced by a 16' Bombarde stop.

I know this is a long shot but if anyone who listened to the video above happens to play an Allen model ADC-4000 to 7000, how does the Allen stop compare in sound?

Comment

My MDS has a 16' Posaune in the pedal and I'd say it sounds very similar.

George

Comment

Working...
            X