X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Composition on You Tube!

Hello,</P>

Ihave just uploaded a video of a new organ composition I have written, so I thought I would let people know here in case you want to check it out. Unfortunately, the recording is only a MIDI realisation as I have not personally had the time to learn it yet[:(]The score is included in the video so you can follow it through as it plays. Any positive or constructive comments welcome. </P>

Please follow the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXE4Awxdz28</P>

Cheers. </P>

M.O.</P>

Re: New Composition on You Tube!

MonsieurOrgue, </P>

I listened to your organ composition on youtube and I must say, I quite enjoyed listening to it. I really liked it. While listening to it, it evoked feelings of mystery, enigma, and almost a sense of spookiness. If you decide to publish it, I'd enjoy playing it. It was nice to see the score so that I could follow along. </P>

How long did it take you to compose it? What were you feeling when you wrote it? Did you intend to convey a sense of mystery and enigma in this piece which is what I felt, or were you wishing to convey something else? </P>

Keep up with your compositions! I'd like to hear more! [Y]</P>

Cheerio, ReedGuy. </P>

Comment

ReedGuy,</P>

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and for your kind comments, I really appreciate that. I am delighted that you enjoyed listening to the composition and even more so because it obviously communicated the feelings that you mentioned. I think it is what every composer aims for - that his or her music is able to 'speak' to people and communicate on a profound level. What and how it does this of course variesa lotfrom one individual to another, butI think your own feelings about this music are along the right lines.</P>

The piece took about a month to write,although the actual composing time was somewhat less asI onlyhad time to write for a couple of hours in the evening. It was originally written as part of a portfolio of work for a Masters qualification, although my own feelings toward this piece are much more than simply academic.</P>

There is a lot of personal emotion and feeling that went into the writing of this piece, and it is interesting that those emotions and feelings return each time I hear it.You may have noticed that the main theme (initially in the left hand at bar 2 onwards) occurs throughout the piece in one form or another, and thatinitially it seems to be battling with the relentlessness of it'saccompaniment figurations, then also with itself in the fugue, thenalone, deeply reflective, before it returns once more,to fight it demons and triumph! It symbolises astruggle of one thing against another -darkness to light. I'm suremany of could relate our experiencesto a similar mold.</P>

Thanks again for your comments. There is indeed more to come.</P>

Cheers,</P>

M.O.</P>

Comment

It sounds pretty good as a MIDI, but, of course, the real test is how does it actually sound. My suggestion would be to hold out the pedal notes longer at the ends of phrases, particularly in the opening section. Other than that I think the piece is fine,, but I expect to evolve some as once it actually gets played.

Comment

When I get some time I will definitely learn it properly, althoughI have played small sections of it and they seem to work just fine. </P>

Anybody else had a chance to listen to it???</P>

Comment

MonsieurOrgue, </P>

The more I listen to the Toccata you wrote, the more I like it. One day I wouldn't mind playing it at a recital (with your permission) and making sure that I make proper and full credit to you for composing it, of course. This would sound sweet on an organ. I can just hear it on a 100+ rank pipe organ, and it would be cool. </P>

In the meantime, though, I'm just in the middle of learning some works which I have to get finished in time for the next qualification I hope with God's grace we'll get. </P>

Cheerio!</P>

P.S. I sent you an email. </P>

Comment

Really glad you enjoyed it. I agree, on a large pipe organ it would sound magnificent. It is a shame more people havn't left any comments though, would be interested to have other opinions too. </P>

Well, good luck with your pieces and that qualification, and thanks for the email - I shall write a reply whenI have a spare moment. Would be interested to discuss your proposal to use this piece in a future recital.</P>

Cheers,</P>

MonsieurOrgue</P>

Comment

as i've said on youtube i think the rendering is too slow to show off the nature of the piece (pieces) i like the minimalistic nature of the A section. The b sectioncould use a littlefurther development in its opening. I love the registration use.The slow c section isbeautiful, but probably too long.And i love the D section. Ending would be better with more suspended pedal,resolving the last pedal to the tonic, and all on grander registration.</P>

All in all it's deffinately a good concert work, playable and sane. As far as post modern works go this is very good and reasonable. I also like the improvisational feel it has, quite professional.</P>

Comment

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments. Glad you enjoyed them. There are a few more compositions uploaded now so please feel free to check them out.</P>

Cheers.</P>

Comment

The video link seems to be removed from youtube.

Comment

Working...
                      X