Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does It Take More Skill to Play a 2-Manual Organ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does It Take More Skill to Play a 2-Manual Organ?

I was practicing just last night on the symphony's used (but new to us) 3-manual organ. It struck me how much easier it was to play a 3+ manual instrument vs. a 2-manual instrument because:</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>Some literature requires a 3-manual instrument (i.e. the Fantasie from Saint-Saƫns' Fantasie &amp; Fugue in E-Flat Major).</LI>
    <LI>Registration changes are required less on a 3-manual instrument because of the extra manual. More tonal variation is available.</LI>
    <LI>Sometimes a solo stop you need is on the wrong manual for the sound you want in a 2-manual.</LI>[/list]

Here's my question: Does it take more talent/skill to play a 2-manual instrument vs. a 3-manual instrument? I think so. What's your take?</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Re: Does It Take More Skill to Play a 2-Manual Organ?

No, it doesn't. It does require more knowledge of organs, organworks and interpretation.

Comment

I play a 3-manual at church and a 2-manual at home and find the 3-manual easier to play because as Michael pointed out:</P>
      <LI>Registration changes are required less on a 3-manual instrument because of the extra manual. More tonal variation is available.
      <LI>Sometimes a solo stop you need is on the wrong manual for the sound you want in a 2-manual.</LI>

Cheers!</P>

[D]</P>

Comment

It is entirely dependent on the repertoire!</P>

I've accompanied oratorios and done solo concerts on two-manual organs.</P>

Solo recitals are easy - you just pick repertoire that doesn't require three manuals.</P>

Accompanying and having to play orchestral transcriptions - that's where things can get a bit complicated.</P>

On the other hand, the organ is 'helping' you to decide what stops you can and cannot use; if yousimplify your expectations as far as stop and manual changes, then it actually becomes easier.</P>

Comment

Working...
        X