Arranging Piano Music for The Organ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arranging Piano Music for The Organ

I'm always looking for free sheet music but find most free sheet music seems to be arranged for Piano.
    I've been learning to play from the James Bastien organ tuition books and Kenneth Baker books, where there is a right hand melody, left hand chords and pedal bass,how difficult would it be to add chords and a pedal bass to piano sheet music?

It totally depends on the music, and also on one's knowledge of harmony etc.
    Some classical piano pieces sound surprisingly nice on the organ (example: preludes and fugues op. 16 by Clara Schumann, originally for piano, organ versions available), while others don't (example: the "raindrop prelude" op. 28/15 by Frederic Chopin, I have an organ version that simply doesn't bring the original idea across).

What style are you looking for?

Comment

• geoffbrown
      geoffbrown commented
      Editing a comment
      Your correct I've just been given a book of music intended to be used with a Casio keyboard ,100 songs ranging from Jingle Bells to Valse op 84 Chopin, they sound good as they are,I can't play the harder pieces yet.
      I have learn't to play Canon in D and Bach BWV 147 from this book but it has no bass pedal part

You can either add a bass note every now and then to double the left hand, or re-write the whole piece to make sure the bass line (pedals) do their own thing. Have you already had experience arranging pieces for other instruments? If not, go and have a look at imslp, there are many interesting arrangements for organ.
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:For_organ_(arr)

Comment

• geoffbrown
      geoffbrown commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou I have had limited experience working out chords for guitar and mandolin so with a bit more music theory and google searches I'm finding my own organ arrangements.
      I found that Kenneth Baker and James Bastien don't offer much help to adapt music for organ, also published music is very expensive even if it was written 400 years ago.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Geoff,

Music written 400 years ago is freeā€“if you follow the link Andrea provided. Try it! It couldn't be too painful to find free music.

Michael
Working...
X