Organ registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ registration

I am learning Vår Gud är oss en väldig borg "a mighty fortress is our God". I am not using pedals and use only one manual. What organ registration would you recomend?
    and when is this played/sung?

I think you said you had a teacher. What do they say? What do you think the answers are to your questions?

Comment

Originally posted by regeron View Post
      I think you said you had a teacher. What do they say? What do you think the answers are to your questions?
      I have a teacher but I will not meet him right now.
      I was just asking if you could give me a tip in the meantime. The issue is: I don't know when it is sung at church. If I knew that it would be easier to find good registration.

Comment

You have to ask someone at the church where you are going to play.

Besides that, what does it matter when it is sung? Why is that the question/answer that will help you find a good registration?

Comment

You have to ask someone at the church where you are going to play.

Besides that, what does it matter when it is sung? Why is that the question/answer that will help you find a good registration?
          So there are no easy answers to my question?
          There are many organ registrations that can be used? We have no standar answer?
          All organists have their own ideas?

Comment

Those who know what they are doing know that the answer to your question depends on:
            - the organ
            - the acoustic
            - how many people are singing
            - how well they can sing
            - how the congregation normally sings (fast or slow, loud or gentle)
            - how well the congregation knows the hymn
            - the organists' own ability (especially when it comes to changing registration between verses)
            - the organist's own ability (especially if they decide to do interesting things like soloing a melody in soprano, bass, or a middle voice)
            - whether the hymn is accompanying any other liturgical action or movement and what the general mood of that action is, eg. festive or meditative.

Comment

Those who know what they are doing know that the answer to your question depends on:
              - the organ
              - the acoustic
              - how many people are singing
              - how well they can sing
              - how the congregation normally sings (fast or slow, loud or gentle)
              - how well the congregation knows the hymn
              - the organists' own ability (especially when it comes to changing registration between verses)
              - the organist's own ability (especially if they decide to do interesting things like soloing a melody in soprano, bass, or a middle voice)
              Thanks for this great answer!

Comment

Grand Jeu or Plein Jeu. Your choice.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I would add one thing. If this is accompanying the hymn “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” also consider the text although regeron may be implying this as liturgical action

Comment

Originally posted by timnc View Post
                    I would add one thing. If this is accompanying the hymn “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” also consider the text although regeron may be implying this as liturgical action
                    Thanks for that addition.

I hadn't specifically mentioned that, though it was vaguely hinted at in the idea of changing registrations between verses. The implication is that you have to read the text of each stanza to have a sense of how it should be registered.

Comment

I feel so worthless these days ... here I am in a church where I get to pick the hymns! And I haven't used this hymn there. No one cares. I haven't heard this hymn in decades. No Pastor has ever used it at a church I've served since the early '90's. When I used to play it, I used to set up two contrasting registrations on Great and Swell and alternate them on every phrase. I usually worked up to a satisfying Grand Jeu on the final verse with a tasty Free Harmonization on that last verse at that. Now you are likely to be scolded if you pull a 4' Principal, heaven forfend, a 2' Principal. Don't even think about that Great Mixture buddy. The digital Rodgers allows me to dial down the Master Volume so in theory I could have the Full Tutti screaming but at a volume level that even the hearing aid wearers won't find offensively loud, but that is too much work some Sunday's. Easier to just use Great Flutes with Swell 8/4/2 and call it good. For everything! <hangs head>. I need to crowdfund the building of my VPO before everything I've learned about playing organ dribbles out of my ears and is lost forever ... henrik, if you are serious about this organ stuff, you are living in both the best and worst of times to be starting. On the one hand there is YouTube and the exposure to the full gamut of talent in the world. On the other hand that sheer amount of free media invites apathy. Why bother learning. Just enjoy. But E'in feste burg ... A Mighty Fortress ... ... well that implies a more sturdy registration wouldn't you say?

Comment

Working...
                      X