No announcement yet.

Which of my two manuals for "Solo?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's important to remember that the solo is not always the top voice. It can be in the middle or at the bottom.

I grew up playing a spinet with staggered 44-note manuals. If I ever had to play a solo in the LH, I'd have to use the lower manual, just because of the instrument's range limitations. fortunately, it was a Hammond, which (other than an additional 16' and 5 1/3' on the upper manual) had identical drawbars for both manuals. Registration was very flexible.

Comment

You've had lots of good advice - boiling down to: use your ears and do what sound best on the organ you're playing. I'd also suggest that many editions of music give registration suggestions which can give you ideas and guide you. Lots of music on IMSLP.

In my retirement I play a small (J.W. Walker 1865) organ. Sadly the Swell only goes down to Tenor C and so there is no Swell to Pedal coupler. This means that a solo HAS to be on the Swell. (Or on the Great Stopped Diapason) It's limiting, though I've got used to it. Many pieces have to be registered differently to the way I normally would.

Comment

Working...
      X