Note choice - Vierne Symphony 1 Prélude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note choice - Vierne Symphony 1 Prélude

Measure 42, alto voice at end of the bar... E or E# ? E, I think. Cf. bars 37 and 31.

Gary,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The part writing is identical in all the scores I found. What, exactly is your concern?

Michael

P.S. I just checked a couple of YouTube videos, and it sounds right there too. In one place, the Alto has the interval of a Tri-tone and the other has a 5th.
    Last edited by myorgan; 07-20-2021, 05:17 AM. Reason: Add P.S.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

My question is whether to play E-natural or E-sharp. An E natural would make
      for a dominant seventh chord leading to b-minor in bar 42.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I think Peterborough already responded, and I think I'll agree with him.

Michael

Definitely E. (Though I've only ever played the last movement.)

I agree that the notation is ambiguous. In bars 39 and 40 the lower RH part obviously has to take the A# and G# respectively even though it's not marked. Just careless proof reading I'd say - I think there are a lot of misprints in Vierne's organ music. Somebody has listed them all but I can't remember offhand who it is.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        It's interesting that all 3 scores on IMSLP have the same mistake. I agree that harmonic analysis should supercede any errors in the score, but it strikes me strange all the scores would make the same mistake.

Last month I played a Kurt Weill piece with the Symphony, and it was interesting that what I thought were mistakes in the score were actually bi-tonality. Granted, different composer, but the principle applies.

Michael

I think the first two editions on IMSLP are both from the same engraving - altering an engraved plate is an expensive business - not like altering a mistake on a computer score! The third one is presumably typed out from one of these. Not surprising, I'd say, that they are the same.

It is well known that there are lots of misprints in Vierne's organ music, probably due to his blindness. Latry and others have made lists of them. You can see Latry's list and Smith's own in this (not cheap) book:
      Louis Vierne: Organist of Notre Dame Cathedral: 3 (Complete Organ) : Pendragon Press: Amazon.co.uk: Books

You could also buy the new, corrected, edition of the First Symphony:
      Vierne, L: Organ Works Vol. 1: Symphonie No.1, Op.14 (Urtext) | Presto Sheet Music (prestomusic.com)

I attach Latry's list for the Pieces de Fantasie for interest. The introduction is worth reading.
      Attached Files

Comment

Excellent information to have, Peterborough! I tend to stay away from Vierne, and now I understand why. At one point in my life, I probably heard someone playing one (or more) of his pieces without correcting the errors.

Actually, I'm less impressed with some of the "Impressionist" (or more dissonant) Romantic composers, and find them less useful for church and concert work. When I've attended concerts in years past, it sometimes feels to me like the organist is trying to "impress" the audience by including works only organ academia would understand or appreciate. It's knowing your audience and programming for their enjoyment vs. mine.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

• Peterboroughdiapason
          Peterboroughdiapason commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think there are so many misprints that it would materially affect any performance you've heard, Michael. Personally I place Bach, Franck and Vierne in the top 3 places for organ music composers - I think Vierne is wonderful. I find the "24 pieces en style libre" extremely useful for services and recitals and I can't remember coming across misprints in them. I only play bits of the symphonies these days - they are a bit mixed it seems to me, though I think the 3rd symphony is superb in every movement.
      Working...
      X