Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Village Organist, 8 Volumes Sheet Music - Now Free!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peterboroughdiapason
    replied
    I have looked through some of these (and have known some of them in the past). I have the wedding music one as well as the same book in a Novello Wedding Book that doesn't have the Village Organist badge on it! Same arrangements.

I think the arrangements are excellent and, indeed, not "dumbed down" in the way that some current books are. However I must say that the pieces they have chosen to include (I've only looked at some of them) are not to my taste and that the Baroque ones are in rather old-fashioned arrangements. As for the "original" pieces - I can't say I'd want to play any of them. (Though I haven't looked at many of them - I'm happy to be told of any good ones.) To be honest, I wouldn't encourage anyone to use these books in 2014, and I wouldn't make them a "sticky". They've had their day. Where there are are arrangements of music from the 19th century that you want to play and think are worth playing, though, they are fine.

The music may be free, but I'd much rather pay for the Oxford Service Music books or the Cramer Graded Anthologies - and numerous other collections. Not to mention the collections of pieces by Franck for harmonium and Vierne (24 Pieces en style libre) and tons of Baroque music on IMSLP.

Also, in the UK at least, some of the music may still be in copyright: e.g. there is a piece by Healey-Willan in the first volume and he died in 1968.
    Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 10-10-2014, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrBen
    replied
    Originally posted by myorgan View Post
    Jonathan,

Could I enquire why people choose to use URL redirects rather than the actual URL (other than brevity)? Personally, I don't trust them and will not use a non-original URL. Also, in the network I manage, they won't work.

Michael
    http://www.handle.net

If you are sure about a "handle", there is a site that will resolve it and show you the target URL.

See: hdl.handle.net

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by JonathanP View Post
    I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but at least the link got posted before I got around to it! I'm glad you like the content anyway.
    No need to apologize. You did nothing different than a few million other people would do online. Yet, I'll respond further at the risk of sidetracking the thread.

It's kinda like a site named [k*i*j*i*] (just remove the stars). They have everything eBay has listed--just a week or two later with a few added *bonuses.* Personally, I prefer going directly to the source. That way I don't risk receiving the extras.

Again, though. Thanks for the resource. I'd never heard of it before, and it provides quite a wealth of material. Thank you!

Michael

Leave a comment:

• JonathanP
    replied
    I'm not a particularly technical person, so just saw it say "URL to cite to" which to me means the URL to link others to. I was unaware that some servers have problems with these. I thought that maybe there would've been some issue with posting what was in the address bar when I saw that link on the page, so thought I was doing the right thing by posting that one. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but at least the link got posted before I got around to it! I'm glad you like the content anyway.

Leave a comment:

• quantum
    replied
    Great find! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Thank you! Great resource. Just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• ArthurCambronne
    replied
    Originally posted by myorgan View Post
    Jonathan,

Could I enquire why people choose to use URL redirects rather than the actual URL (other than brevity)? Personally, I don't trust them and will not use a non-original URL. Also, in the network I manage, they won't work.

I apologize for taking this thread sideways, but I am interested in seeing the volumes you reference in your post.

Michael
    https://urresearch.rochester.edu/ins...ersionNumber=1

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by JonathanP View Post
    All 8 volumes of "The Village Organist" scanned and available in PDF format from The University of Rochester's site.

http://hdl.handle.net/1802/7412
    Jonathan,

I apologize for taking this thread sideways, but I am interested in seeing the volumes you reference in your post.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• JonathanP
    replied
    Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post
    What a find! Excellent work my friend! Downloaded and ready to print.

I love the internet!
    I was extremely happy to find these to say the least. I just knew I had to have these books after borrowing one. It's like an organist's anthology really.

I'll still buy the books at some point, just because I love old books. For now, I'll print them all off and put them in ring binders!

I'm glad to see that this has been made a sticky, hopefully these will help many others. I think it's wrong how we should still be paying for music that is over 100 years out of copyright, more books like this and decent arrangements of classical/liturgical music should be free.

Leave a comment:

• ArthurCambronne
    replied
    What a find! Excellent work my friend! Downloaded and ready to print.

I love the internet!

Leave a comment:

• JonathanP
    started a topic Village Organist, 8 Volumes Sheet Music - Now Free!

Village Organist, 8 Volumes Sheet Music - Now Free!

I just had to share this when I found it. I was just saying that as these books are from roughly 1897, and half of the music was extremely old back then too, that these should be freely available. Then I found it!

All 8 volumes of "The Village Organist" scanned and available in PDF format from The University of Rochester's site.

http://hdl.handle.net/1802/7412

There's 100s of songs there that cover just about every occasion you could play for. They're supposedly arranged for the Village Organist, whom will usually play on smaller organs. The arrangements really aren't limited or cut back at all though; I borrowed Volume 3 from my teacher as the Wedding March has a much more interesting pedal line than Noel Rawsthorne's arrangement - much closer to the original. The other pieces are also very comparable to other arrangements I own, so I don't quite see the justification of that statement! They're definitely not a limited range or anything in any way.

Well worth looking at. The arrangements in here also have a knack of sounding more complicated to the listener than they actually are, which I think is always a bonus! I'm very happy I discovered this series of books, it's exactly the sort of old music book I was seeking. The arrangements in here are obviously all the great classic ones, I think they're wonderful.

On a little side note, if anyone has any of these lying about that they've forgotten all about or just don't want, then I may be interested in purchasing them. Send me a PM if so. Prices on the internet seem to have gone crazy for these antique books which are falling apart, and surprise surprise: they're not selling!
Working...
X