X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie Sanders, Lutheran composer?

Rick,

It's interesting what gems lurk around the periphery if we just take the time to look. It's just too bad a nice piece of music needs to be ruined by a politician (nothing partisan--I can't stand most of them!). Thank you for sharing the composition.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Thanks for the information!
      I never heard of the composer before (I heard of the politician, though), but just had a look on the Dohr publisher's website. Seems to be worth looking a bit closer.

Comment

Were the parishioners "feeling the Bern"?
        “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
        “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
        Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
        (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Originally posted by andijah View Post
          Thanks for the information!
          I never heard of the composer before (I heard of the politician, though), but just had a look on the Dohr publisher's website. Seems to be worth looking a bit closer.
          The other place to look at Sanders' music is on the Concordia website. There are several collections of short pieces based on standard Lutheran chorales, usually four pieces per collection. His procedure is normally to include at least one neo-Baroque piece (ornamented chorale melody, bicinium, etc.) using modern harmony, rather as Gerhard Krapf did but in a more advanced way. The first-line titles are geared to the titles in the Lutheran Service Book but the tunes themselves can of course be found in other hymnals. It is always music of high quality, although those who are scared by dissonance that is no more challenging than, for example, Flor Peeters, should probably stay away.

Rick Dostie

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ArthurCambronne View Post
          Were the parishioners "feeling the Bern"?
          It's a pretty Republican parish as a rule, but I did meet at least one older couple who are Berning to stop Trump.

Rick Dostie

Comment

Bernie Sanders won the New Hampshire Democratic primary
            He may have won the primary, but Hillary still has as many (or more) delegates. Super Delegates are free to vote for whomever they like, regardless of the popular vote, and they don't like Bernie.

Wes

Comment

Originally posted by rmdostie View Post
              The other place to look at Sanders' music is on the Concordia website.
              Rick,

I think I can use a piece by Bernie Sanders, but Colonel Sanders is where I draw the line! Something about tambourines and banjoes don't tickle my fancy when it comes to organ pieces. Maybe I should write a composition for that grouping!

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Is this the song you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV4L_OHGpyo
                “There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.”
                “What I have achieved by industry and practice, anyone else with tolerable natural gift and ability can also achieve.”
                Johann Sebastian Bach

(at Home) Conn 645 Theater Deluxe
                (at Church) 1836 E. & G.G. Hook Bros, Opus 26

Comment

Working...
                X