This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A non-Pachelbel wedding ceremony

I'm playing for a wedding ceremony on the 25th at a Catholic church, and guess what? The bride doesn't want the Pachelbel Canon! She wants the Marcello Psalm 19, the Charpentier Te Deum prelude, and for a service prelude the Bach Air from the Third Suite. All transcriptions of course, not original organ music, but that's OK because they're not the damnable Canon, which has become the Mustang Sally of my career as an organist (or the Proud Mary, depending on how old I feel).

Rick Dostie
    Resurrection Lutheran Church
    Waterville, ME USA

Waterville, wow, my sister went to Colby College for her undergrad.

I have always thought it would be fun to request a jazz reharmonization of Canon in D for a wedding. Depending on the organist, it might be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
      Waterville, wow, my sister went to Colby College for her undergrad. I have always thought it would be fun to request a jazz reharmonization of Canon in D for a wedding. Depending on the organist, it might be great!
      Major 7ths all over the place? Flatted 9ths? Actually, a Swingles Singers thing with a choral group might be fun. Remember them? Also - Colby College - I do a lot of work there as a choral accompanist, and sometimes organist/harpsichordist with the orchestra.

Rick Dostie

Comment

Originally posted by rmdostie View Post
        I'm playing for a wedding ceremony on the 25th at a Catholic church, and guess what? The bride doesn't want the Pachelbel Canon!
        Rick,

Oddly enough, in all the weddings I've done, I've only been asked to play the Pachelbel Canon on organ one time. My wife and I have done a violin/piano version less than a handful of times. OTOH, I have played Marcello's Psalm XIX, and even Campra's Rigaudon from time to time, but never Pachelbel's Canon. Just be thankful no one has requested Lady GaGa's Bad Romance!

Viewing the list of what you've been asked to play, it makes me want to skip out on my day-long event to come and hear the music! I need to check out some of the music you listed. Thanks for sharing some interesting options.

Michael

P.S. My nemesis has been Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring--every wedding!
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
          Viewing the list of what you've been asked to play, it makes me want to skip out on my day-long event to come and hear the music! I need to check out some of the music you listed. Thanks for sharing some interesting options.
          P.S. My nemesis has been Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring--every wedding!
          For a long time it seemed like I had to play the Clarke trumpet piece (referred to usually as Purcell) at every wedding. Then along came Pachelbel. Maybe it's a local thing. My source for the Bach Air and the Charpentier piece is the Oxford Book of Wedding Music. For the Marcello, on the other hand, I use my Concordia Wedding Music collection, published in 1952 and edited for the most part by Walter Buzsin. It's a 2-volume set, and there's some remarkably good music in it.

Rick Dostie

P.S. Someday I'm going to hit 'em with "She's A Good-Hearted Woman In Love With A Good-Timin' Man."
          Last edited by rmdostie; 06-17-2016, 06:58 PM. Reason: postscript

Comment

I tend to think Bach harmonizations are overblown. <unpopularopinionpuffin.jpg>

Though "Jesus, joy of man's desiring" sounds a bit austere with a plainer arrangement.

Comment

My wife just shared the set-list for the wedding ceremony she's playing for this afternoon with a string trio in Portland:
              • Prelude
                • Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
                • Sheep May Safely Graze
                • Somewhere Over the Rainbow
                • Think Of Me
                • Water Music
                • The Lover's Waltz
                Ceremony
                • Processional--Blackbird
                • Bride--Fools Rush In
                • Recessional--Signed, Sealed, Delivered
              I wonder how long this marriage will last? Must not be their first wedding. Pachelbel is looking better all the time!

Michael

P.S. Bring in the Harleys!
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

My wife just shared the set-list for the wedding ceremony she's playing for this afternoon with a string trio in Portland:
                • Prelude
                  • Sheep May Safely Graze
                  • Think Of Me
                  • Water Music
                  • The Lover's Waltz
                  Ceremony
                  • Bride--Fools Rush In
                I wonder how long this marriage will last? Must not be their first wedding. Pachelbel is looking better all the time!
                Mercy. But of course, back when they were popular songs, I had to do both "The Rose" and "Send In The Clowns" several times. I also had to play "Brown-Eyed Girl" for the wedding of a friend's daughter (she did in fact have brown eyes). In my own defense, I should add that none of these abominations took place in churches for which I was actually working. In each case, I was a hired gun.

Rick Dostie

Comment

Originally posted by rmdostie View Post
                  In each case, I was a hired gun.
                  Rick,

Time to change the ammunition! Maybe you get all these weddings as a result of any association with the Moody Chapel? Just a thought.

Michael

Comment

Congrats on NOT having to play it! The last wedding I was in - sure enough, the bride wanted it! The only thing worse would be having to play the traditional "Bridal Chorus" from Lohengrin! I refused to have it in my own wedding almost 24 years ago. I wrote my own processional for my wife and had one of my music ed classmates from college play it for us on the chapel pipe organ. You mentioned Bach - I also had this piece played at my wedding - one of my favorites and SO beautiful!

- - - Updated - - -

• Prelude
                      • Sheep May Safely Graze
                      • Think Of Me
                      • Water Music
                      • The Lover's Waltz

Ceremony
                      • Bride--Fools Rush In

Michael

P.S. Bring in the Harleys!

What a line-up, Michael! I've had to do the same at a few weddings in the past - but I played those pop songs on the piano, not the organ - that would have really sounded Hokey!
                    Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

Comment

I'm not the Organist, so don't really know what pieces are played at weddings in my UMC, but I suspect the list is pretty traditional. My sister had the Clarke Voluntary for her entrance and the Widor for their exit. I know that my church used to forbid usage of either of the "usual" wedding marches (Mendelssohn and Wagner) because of their connection to pagan ceremonies in their original settings. I don't know if that prohibition is still in force, however.

David

Comment

I don't say no outright to the Canon... Wagner or Mendelssohn however are on the no-fly list

Rick, I've never seen the Concordia wedding book. Does Ps XIX differ greatly from the Biggs arrangement?

I recently had a couple request In Dir Ist Freude, with no prompting on my behalf. Granted they were church goers, but just the thought still makes me smile

Comment

Working...
                        X