This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music for an Anglican Ordination Service

I am playing for an ordination service next month and have several pieces picked out already but am wondering if anyone has any favorite postludes to play at such a service. I am organist/choirmaster at a very traditional 1928 BCP parish, if that helps and I play a small organ made by the NORD company but do have a full AGO pedalboard attached. I have found that pieces like the Widor toccata and similar fare don't sound very good on this instrument so big symphonic works are probably out. I've tried them before and this little guy really sounds too electronic to do them justice. Thanks for any suggestions anyone cares to make.

Originally posted by robhoward View Post
    I am playing for an ordination service next month and have several pieces picked out already but am wondering if anyone has any favorite postludes to play at such a service. I am organist/choirmaster at a very traditional 1928 BCP parish, if that helps and I play a small organ made by the NORD company but do have a full AGO pedalboard attached. I have found that pieces like the Widor toccata and similar fare don't sound very good on this instrument so big symphonic works are probably out. I've tried them before and this little guy really sounds too electronic to do them justice. Thanks for any suggestions anyone cares to make.
    What are the pieces you have already picked? What are you playing for the prelude? I often group things around a particular composer, or key or key relationships (relative minor, major etc)

Comment

Originally posted by robhoward View Post
      I am playing for an ordination service next month. ...
      - a very traditional 1928 BCP parish, ...
      - a small organ made by the NORD company but do have a full AGO pedalboard attached. I have found that pieces like the Widor toccata and similar fare don't sound very good on this instrument so big symphonic works are probably out. I've tried them before and this little guy really sounds too electronic to do them justice.
      I've never heard of NORD before. What are it's nicest loud stops or stop combinations? If it has a good trumpet, consider choosing a Trumpet Tune.
      How big is the space? How many people does it hold? Good acoustic - some reverb in the room, or a dead space? These things can help to choose the right piece for the occasion and the location.

Comment

Originally posted by regeron View Post
        I've never heard of NORD before. Pipe or electronic? .
        Electronic. Nord was big in the rock world back in the day ('70's, '80's) and well known for their analog synthesizers and Hammond clones. Their making a church organ is kind of like Korg or Alesis making a church organ, you wouldn't expect it, but upon learning that such a thing exists you kind of see how it might be possible...

Comment

Working...
        X