Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxology-OLD 100th (shortened)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NennkSfHPk

Here is me playing the Doxology on the Allen MOS-1 (301-C) at Upperville United Methodist Church.

Enjoy!

Just as I thought... that old MOS-1 sounds great in a lively room! Maybe not just as good as a new one, but it really does fill the room and makes some beautiful music. As I've often remarked, Allen got the stoplist right on those from the start. All the essential sounds are there, and when the acoustics are right it does a fine job.

Nice playing too. Didn't realize you were so young. I have to say your style reminds me of myself about 30 or 40 years ago, keeping one foot on the expression pedal and trying to do the whole bass line with one foot! I eventually talked myself into taking the right foot off the expression and making it help out on the bass line. I am so glad I did. I'd encourage you to try it for yourself.

I'm 65 now, and still learning and sharpening my playing style. In fact, I play far better than I did just five or six years ago when I came to my present church. It's my first position in a long time where playing the organ is my primary task, and I decided to get much more serious about my technique and skills. Practice between one and two hours most days, and it really pays off. I also spend some time each day watching some top-notch players on YouTube and trying to analyze their technique.

Keep up the good work, young man. It is so heart-warming to see someone like you doing such a fine job and committing yourself to an instrument that sorely needs more new players.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Nicely done, but I like you ancient "Take On Me" video the best.
      Until The Next Dimension,
      Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
      -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
        Just as I thought... that old MOS-1 sounds great in a lively room! Maybe not just as good as a new one, but it really does fill the room and makes some beautiful music. As I've often remarked, Allen got the stoplist right on those from the start. All the essential sounds are there, and when the acoustics are right it does a fine job.

Nice playing too. Didn't realize you were so young. I have to say your style reminds me of myself about 30 or 40 years ago, keeping one foot on the expression pedal and trying to do the whole bass line with one foot! I eventually talked myself into taking the right foot off the expression and making it help out on the bass line. I am so glad I did. I'd encourage you to try it for yourself.

I'm 65 now, and still learning and sharpening my playing style. In fact, I play far better than I did just five or six years ago when I came to my present church. It's my first position in a long time where playing the organ is my primary task, and I decided to get much more serious about my technique and skills. Practice between one and two hours most days, and it really pays off. I also spend some time each day watching some top-notch players on YouTube and trying to analyze their technique.

Keep up the good work, young man. It is so heart-warming to see someone like you doing such a fine job and committing yourself to an instrument that sorely needs more new players.
        Thanks again. I will certainly try. And yes, I'm only 18. I feel like I represent a dying breed of young organist, and yes it sounds great and fills the room! I also like to experiment with different playing styles, one foot or two.

Comment

John,

I quite agree. The sound was quite nice considering the age.
          Originally posted by AllenMDS View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NennkSfHPk Here is me playing the Doxology on the Allen MOS-1 (301-C) at Upperville United Methodist Church.
          AllenMDS,

Where can I get a set of those fancy shoes with gold toes like that?!!! Nice job, and thank you for representing your age group so well!

Michael
          Last edited by myorgan; 01-21-2017, 06:13 PM.
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

You may sometimes feel that you are nearly alone in your pursuit of the organ, but there are young people all around the country (and around the world) who have also felt the call of the King of Instruments. Those of us who love it and play it simply hear a voice that others cannot hear! You are part of an elite group, and that is a reason to be proud.

There have been quite a few young people who have been on this forum in the 10 or 12 years that I've been a member. I know some who went on to major in organ or church music and make great careers in this field. Others haven't pursued it that far, but stayed with the instrument and have become excellent players in their own churches or for their own pleasure.

So we are "the few, the proud" who devote ourselves to this magnificent instrument. But there are others on the same path, and probably others in your own city. In my relatively small metropolitan area I'm aware of a dozen or more young people who are pursuing a career with the organ. We need several times that many, but we'll take what we get!

Hang in there and have a lot of fun with the organ, and keep on making the best music you can make in your own corner of the world.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

You may sometimes feel that you are nearly alone in your pursuit of the organ, but there are young people all around the country (and around the world) who have also felt the call of the King of Instruments. Those of us who love it and play it simply hear a voice that others cannot hear! You are part of an elite group, and that is a reason to be proud.

There have been quite a few young people who have been on this forum in the 10 or 12 years that I've been a member. I know some who went on to major in organ or church music and make great careers in this field. Others haven't pursued it that far, but stayed with the instrument and have become excellent players in their own churches or for their own pleasure.

So we are "the few, the proud" who devote ourselves to this magnificent instrument. But there are others on the same path, and probably others in your own city. In my relatively small metropolitan area I'm aware of a dozen or more young people who are pursuing a career with the organ. We need several times that many, but we'll take what we get!

Hang in there and have a lot of fun with the organ, and keep on making the best music you can make in your own corner of the world.
              You are so right! I never feel alone and have met many great organists, young and old. And I feel very proud to be someone who can conquer the king of instruments! It is really my passion and I hope to stay at Upperville UMC until my last day.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
              John,

I quite agree. The sound was quite nice considering the age.
              AllenMDS,

Where can I get a set of those fancy shoes with gold toes like that?!!! Nice job, and thank you for representing your age group so well!

Michael
              Oh yes, I think one of the reasons it sounds so good is because the church is acoustically perfect, and the speakers are HC-12s, newer than the organ itself.

And you're quite welcome. The organ is my true passion. Thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                Allen MDS, Where can I get a set of those fancy shoes with gold toes like that?!!! Nice job, and thank you for representing your age group so well! Michael
                I'm slightly suspicious those may be Gold Toe Socks, Michael! But unlike "Take on Me" they're not stark white! When I was still a school boy, I saved my money and made a down payment on a new M-3. I was playing one afternoon in the Hammond Organ Studio in my stocking feet and one of the owners asked me if I drove a car that way? I said "no." He asked "How in the world do you ever find the accelerator and brakes?" Point taken... I wore shoes from then on... and I'm very grateful for his gentle goading to this day (I play pretty decent pedals - even if I do say so myself). Try shoes, Jack. You can do much more advanced pedal work with them. Leather soles are best... sneakers and rubber soles, not so much. I've watched a few of your videos... you're doing great; hang in there, man!
                Best wishes -

Roger Memphis
                C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
                CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Memphis View Post
                  I'm slightly suspicious those may be Gold Toe Socks, Michael! But unlike "Take on Me" they're not stark white! When I was still a school boy, I saved my money and made a down payment on a new M-3. I was playing one afternoon in the Hammond Organ Studio in my stocking feet and one of the owners asked me if I drove a car that way? I said "no." He asked "How in the world do you ever find the accelerator and brakes?" Point taken... I wore shoes from then on... and I'm very grateful for his gentle goading to this day (I play pretty decent pedals - even if I do say so myself). Try shoes, Jack. You can do much more advanced pedal work with them. Leather soles are best... sneakers and rubber soles, not so much. I've watched a few of your videos... you're doing great; hang in there, man!
                  Best wishes -

Roger Memphis
                  Thank you, Roger. I have shoes but I just wasn't wearing them on that particular occasion. I try to bring them to church as much as I can now.

Comment

Thank you, Roger. I have shoes but I just wasn't wearing them on that particular occasion. I try to bring them to church as much as I can now.
                    My OrganMasters live at church. I have a ratty pair that I keep at home. You have nimble feet, that's more than half the battle won! Shoes might feel like they cramp your style at first and if you constantly switch back and forth, but when you consistently play in shoes, you get so used to them that it eventually feels wrong to play in socks.

Comment

I have a set for both churches, and transport one of those pairs to symphony when I need them. I've been seriously thinking of purchasing a third set to use at home for practice, and for symphony. When I get rich and famous. . . .

Michael
                      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
                      X