This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Creatures of Our God and King

Some congregational singing from this past Sunday at Boardman United Methodist Church in Youngstown, Ohio. Moller, 28 ranks, 3 manuals. I'm new here and hope it's ok to share this! We recently removed the 50 year old grill cloth to expose the pipes, and it dramatically improved the sound and tuning.

https://youtu.be/E06C1W8bxKc

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the organ forum. I think it is great that you shared this. I absolutely love to hear congregations singing Real Hymns . And really SINGING too. That is due to you using the organ very well. That is the sort of hymn that needs leadership from the console like you provided.

The flute on stanza 2 was pretty neat - I noticed it even before I read your notes on the video.

The organ sounds real nice. I'll bet it is a lot of fun playing there - a nice organ, and a congregation that sings !
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Thank you, Larry, for your kind words! It is a very fun organ and congregation. Playing each Sunday is truly a joy and motivation in my life. The organ is not large, but it benefits from a very well-blending swell chorus that can be super coupled without overpowering the core of the sound.

Comment

Yes indeed! What a glorious hymn, and such delightful organ sound!
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you for sharing this. Registration made good creative use of your resources. Your playing is sensitive to the needs of the voice, and the congregational singing reflected that.

Comment

Related to this hymn, but a bit off-topic; has anyone ever used a registration where the 2nd phrase echoes the 1st phrase? It's something I heard once, and have wondered about it as a possibility from time-to-time.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
              Related to this hymn, but a bit off-topic; has anyone ever used a registration where the 2nd phrase echoes the 1st phrase? It's something I heard once, and have wondered about it as a possibility from time-to-time.

Michael
              I think I know what you mean ... I do that with "Now Thank We All Our God". 1st phrase is on a robust registration on the Great, maybe with Swell coupled. 2nd phrase is much reduced, or contrasting, on the Swell. I don't think of it as an echo so much as an Antiphonal response. I keep bouncing back and forth between the manuals at the end of each phrase, until the final one which I try to have be on the fuller registration. With the hymn under discussion "All Creatures ..." I do actually 'echo' what the congregation is singing, one measure late. In other words as the same time as the congregation is singing the 2nd phrase I am playing the 1st phrase again! This is especially effective after the fermata just before the refrain but it works anywhere in the hymn. It's very cool and I can't take complete credit. I saw it written out that way in a collection of Free Harmonizations, but I don't have it anymore (David N. Johnson?). I just play with it and try not to confuse myself (or the congregation) too much and make sure that we all end together! It doesn't require any particular registration to do this, and it would be impossible anyway to change manuals quickly enough, so it all gets done on whatever registration is being used for the verse being sung. Is this at all what you meant?

Comment

I just looked up the specification for this organ, and for a small three manual, it is a good one. Not as much unification as in many small organs, but covering the basics very well.

https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganD...?OrganID=38690
                Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
                  Is this at all what you meant?
                  It isn't what I meant, but it is an excellent idea. I think I'll try it sometime. I have a book of David Johnson's free hymn harmonizations, but I've never had a congregation or situation large enough to use any of them. Thanks so much for the idea.

My question was where phrase 2 is an echo of phrase 1, and continues throughout the verse in that linear manner (phrase 4 echoes phrase 3, etc.). I think I like your idea better, though.

Michael
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                    It isn't what I meant, but it is an excellent idea. I think I'll try it sometime. I have a book of David Johnson's free hymn harmonizations, but I've never had a congregation or situation large enough to use any of them. Thanks so much for the idea.

My question was where phrase 2 is an echo of phrase 1, and continues throughout the verse in that linear manner (phrase 4 echoes phrase 3, etc.). I think I like your idea better, though.

Michael
                    I don't know what you mean by 'echo'. I really want to understand this so I am asking you to figure out how to explain it better :-). In the meantime, I must admit I hadn't seen the video when I posted earlier. Boardman United Methodist is one lucky church! That is some fine organ playing and any congregation that can follow all those modulations also deserves some positive recognition. I've just played my 5th Sunday in Beaverton and I haven't even taken them up a half step yet. I am following a musician that was in place for 17 years and was in their 70's when they started in the position! It's safe to say that they have never modulated.

Comment

Sean,

Is the organ at the UMC in Boardman open to guests to play? I have relatives who live in Boardman, and we play at their church every time we go through. Your organ sounds like a lovely one to "visit," though!
                      I don't know what you mean by 'echo'. I really want to understand this so I am asking you to figure out how to explain it better :-).
                      I think I know what you mean ... I do that with "Now Thank We All Our God". 1st phrase is on a robust registration on the Great, maybe with Swell coupled. 2nd phrase is much reduced, or contrasting, on the Swell. I don't think of it as an echo so much as an Antiphonal response. I keep bouncing back and forth between the manuals at the end of each phrase, until the final one which I try to have be on the fuller registration.
                      Since you provided the explanation, I made the mistake of assuming you'd know what I meant. Antiphonal vs. echo is a bit of semantics to me. The overall concept is the same, although a bit different in execution. I hope I didn't misunderstand your words--especially since I've chosen to emulate them at some point in the future.:embarrassed:

Michael

P.S. When teaching elementary school, we used the terms call and response, but I think that may be the reverse of what we've discussed.

Comment

Working...
                      X