This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearrangement of hymns

How can I play hymns using only the pedals and the right hand. I have only one hand!

Re: Rearrangement of hymns

The Parish Organist (a four volume set from Concordia) has many three-part hymn settings. There are also relatively easy to moderate chorale preludes in this collection.

Good luck,
    Cole

Well, I haven't fallen off the organ bench yet! Oh, and by the way, I don't like fried eggs; I like 'em hard-boiled.

Comment

Leave out the tenor part! That's your simplest remedy.

Actually, when something happens that causes me to need a hand (like when the AC turns on and starts blowing my music!), I use my left because the tenor part is the least noticeable when it drops out.

Try it and whenever you can pick up a 3 note chord in the right hand see if it works.
      Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
      Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

I've been reading up on harmony over the last few weeks, and one of the books I've been using (the Oxford Harmony by Morris) develops most of its practice using three part harmony, and then has a section at the back modifying this for use in four parts.

Morris suggests that in most cases the dominant is not essential to the harmony, while the third is (and the seventh in such chords). In four part harmony, there will always be a doubled note for simple chords (normally two parts will be playing the root), though the more complex harmony (diminished seventh etc) needs all four parts sounding.

For organ playing, unless you have piston presets, you will need an assistant to pull stops between verses - being unable to transfer all parts into a single hand and poise the other over the stops.

Finally, when I started taking lessons my teacher very early on showed me how successful hymn playing depends 90% on setting a good tempo, lifting to breath with the congregation, and generally helping them to sing, and 10% on actually playing the right notes (a year on they sing pretty well despite my plentiful wrong and missed notes). Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Dunstan

Comment

Working...
        X