Bach - Air on G String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bach - Air on G String

Can anyone recommend a transcription of this piece for organ? A collection of similar, relatively easy things suitable for preludes would be great.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Here is a link to IMSLP Petrucelli Music Library where there are several organ transcriptions available:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Orchestral_Su...hann_Sebastian)

Hope this is helpful.

​​​​​​​

Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Try this link. voet, I think the auto-link messed up on your link (and missed the ending parenthesis).
      Sam
      Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
      Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sam,

I've noticed that often happens when copying links from IMSLP. I've had better luck copying the link (as you did), and then writing text to serve as the link text–rather than using the link address as the link text. Unfortunate issue.

Michael

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look immediately to the right of Camera icon in the Reply area, you'll see a Link icon. Click it to add the links to the post. Not only will the link appear correctly, but the post will contain a preview of the link target.

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Great information, Admin. Thank you for clarifying the process. The preview is a nice feature.

Michael

The version I've found most useful is from the St. Cecilia Series, and I believe the collection is titled: Two Bach Airs. They are listed as God's Time Is Best, and Air (the piece you've requested). Both pieces are quite usable, and I've used them both for church and weddings. If I recall correctly, both arrangements are edited by E. Power Biggs.

In briefly (very briefly) looking at the IMSLP arrangements, I found them less playable (more complex–too complex?) than the arrangement I mentioned. However, the Karg-Elert recording (mp3) appeared to be similar to the E. Power Biggs version I referenced above.

Hope that helps.

Michael

P.S. I forgot that it is also available in the E. Power Biggs book of organ music put out by H.W. Gray Publications. It has a blue cover and a really bad plastic comb binding.
      Last edited by myorgan; 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM.
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Eby
        Eby commented
        Editing a comment
        Out of Print ?. Bigg's book is available for purchase from sheetmusicplus and amazon, i have purchased one copy(paperback, awful printing) few years back.

Thanks, everyone. I've started with one of the IMSLP versions and played it through yesterday.

Interesting that some transcriptions are in D and some are in C. I will have to have a look at the original, just for my own edification.

-S-

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget it was actually written for the G string of a string instrument. That's why i prefer certain keys over others.

Michael

I was reading the Wiki on this - it suggests that it actually wasn't written for the G-string by Bach, but by an early arranger who dropped the melody an octave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_on_the_G_String

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting read. Of course information is constantly evolving on musical topics, and that makes any definitive information a moving target. The article talked about the parts being played staccato, however, a Baroque staccato is approximately 1/2 the value of the note value. That alone would help propel the piece's forward motion.

Thanks for the clarification, as I was quoting what my wife (a concert violinist) had related to me. Interesting note: She refuses to play the piece only on the G string, and uses all the strings.

Michael

There is a simple arrangement for Organ in F !!!!, by Arthur Wildman, this can be downloaded from https://archive.org/details/TheBachB...Music/page/n19

Comment

The version I use, and really like, is from " The Virgil Fox Bach Book ". That was published by The Sacred Music Press in 1973. I cannot find a catalog number on my copy though. The same arrangement is in " The Virgil Fox Legacy " book, also by The Sacred Music Press, published in 1979. That catalog number seems to be KK 276.

Both of those are likely out of print now, but with the internet ( and patience ) one can find most anything these days.

If you want simple arrangements of it, there are lots of fake book versions around.
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Working...
        X