Music for Organ and Piano

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music for Organ and Piano

Hi everyone. I have a pianist in my congregation who wishes to play something in worship for organ and piano. Can anyone make any recommendations for compositions suitable for worship in a liturgically oriented church setting? Having grown up in southeast Texas, I can remember some evangelical type churches ( which will not be mentioned so that I do not cause offense ) where there was great wailing on the piano and organ during services. That is NOT the type of music I am looking for.

I will appreciate any leads.

IMSLP.org is a superb resource for such pieces. Check out this link: https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:For_piano,_organ

All scores are in PDF format and most are public domain. Some titles: Nocturne by Loret; Fantasie by Demarest (longer piece); Rhapsody by Demarest.

Comment

If both the organist AND pianist are decently accomplished, HOLY,HOLY,HOLY by Marvin Gaspard and Mark Hayes cannot be surpassed. It's a collection of stunning hymn arrangements. I played them with a superb pianist 20 years ago at a concert at a fancy-pants church which has its own symphony orchestra, and concert series, and it was well received by the audience. Look it up- published by GlorySound

Comment

There was a book published titled "Hymnworks" 10 arrangements by Linda Mckechnie by Brentwood Music in 1992. I think there were a total of 3 books in the series, 2 Classical themes and 1 Christmas. I don't know if they are still in print. The ISBN number is 1-55897-284-6 and the book number is BK-3117. I have a copy in my possession. The pieces are mixed between a religious piece and a classical piece such as When I Survey The Wondrous Cross with Air by Bach.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I just received a copy of this from *Bay, and can't wait to try it out. I first became familiar with it back in the 1980s, but never had the chance to try it out. However, the ones I heard played at a local church in my college town sounded great!

Michael

JJ,

Is your interest in a classical piece or a liturgical piece (i.e. some non-descript Priérè or Communion)? I have hundreds of piano/organ duets, but need to have some guidance so I can narrow them down to meet your needs. Also, would you consider the organist and pianist capable of playing moderately easy (hymn-like), moderate (arpeggiated), moderately difficult (many accidentals and/or arpeggiated 16th notes in rapid succession), or difficult duets (alternate harmonizations with multiple runs, etc.)? If you can express your musicians' skills on that continuum, I can filter my database to make suggestions.

If your musicians can play well, that is quite rare. In my case, my (sometimes) pianist will only play simple hymns or slightly arranged hymns at a moderately slow speed. In order to play anything more difficult, I have to record the piano on my electric piano at home, and bring it to church and play the organ with myself. Very little practice time is available without anyone there.

Let me know, and I'll get the information to you soon.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• jjcricket1958
          jjcricket1958 commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael, thanks so much. The pianist who has expressed an interest is renewing her skills and desire to play. At this point, I think she would be up to a “moderate” level and that would be a good challenge for her. More than likely, we would be playing during communion, or perhaps prelude, postlude type situations. I’d like to start with hymn based literature. Again, thanks!

There was an extensive thread on this topic two or three years ago. You might find it with a search via Google or the Forum search.
        Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
        Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
        Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

There is an interesting collection of piano and organ duets by Denis Bedard, Jordi Cervello, Marcel Dupre, Jean Langlais, Witold Lutoslawski, Camille Saint-Saens, and Charles_Marie Widor. None of them are expressly religious, but they are by first rate composers. It is published by Duo Musart-Barcelona. I found the volume by doing a search on "piano organ duet dupre," because I knew that Dupre had composed for this combination of instruments.
          Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

JJ,

I'm on my way to Pittsburgh, so will need to respond to your post when I get back and have access to the computer with the database on it. Probably Friday or Saturday. Until then....

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by voet View Post
              There is an interesting collection of piano and organ duets by Denis Bedard, Jordi Cervello, Marcel Dupre, Jean Langlais, Witold Lutoslawski, Camille Saint-Saens, and Charles_Marie Widor. None of them are expressly religious, but they are by first rate composers. It is published by Duo Musart-Barcelona. I found the volume by doing a search on "piano organ duet dupre," because I knew that Dupre had composed for this combination of instruments.
              The Bedard "Duet Suite" is a very exciting and attractive work - although it's a concert piece not a liturgical one.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterboroughdiapason View Post

The Bedard "Duet Suite" is a very exciting and attractive work - although it's a concert piece not a liturgical one.
                I read the o.p. using 'Liturgical' to distinguish between a more informal Evangelical style of music, and not to imply that strictly Sacred titles are required. That said, the Bedard Suite (I'm not familiar) may not be appropriate for Communion, based on your characterization, but no doubt after awhile the o.p. and his duet partner might want to try their hands (and feet) at an Offertory or Prelude where there is more scope for increased dynamics. My contribution to this thread is the "Sheep May Safely Graze" and "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" as arranged by E. Power Biggs. I too have played a lot of piano/organ duets when I had a pianist that was up to it in the congregation. Most collections have pretty static organ parts, which is ironic because in Liturgical Churches the organist is usually the one with the chops. Bigg's being an organist balanced (IMO) the duties of each rather well.

Comment

Working...
                X