Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Songs; Guitar Chords to the book "Dearly Beloved" By Denes Agay

"Dearly Beloved" By Denes Agay
    Please keep in mind I'm looking for an easy/fast way to get guitar chords to the songs in this book.
    Either style below will work.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Attached Files
    Starts
    04-30-2019
    Ends
    05-01-2019
    Hammond SK1-61

Reed,

I'm not sure of your question, but you appear to have everything you need to play the chords on guitar to the song. Assuming you know nothing, the letters over the melody notes are the names of the chords. Match each chord to the chord chart, and you should be good. The only thing missing is the chord inversion, but that shouldn't cause a problem. It's only something an advanced musician would pick up.

If your guitarist has more advanced skills (s)he can use barre chords, but that is an acquired skill. Have you tried www.ultimate-guitar.com? They used to be free, but I had to protect my computer from malicious software when I visited their site–that was roughly 3 years ago, though.

I hope this is the information you were seeking.

Michael

P.S. What is the Starts/Ends at the end of your post?
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Thank you for the replying. I need to get the chords to the songs in the book. No idea what they would be.
      Hammond SK1-61

Comment

Is the picture on the right a sample from that book? If so, like Michael says, you have the information. The chords shown are C, F, C7, F, C.

If not, I could figure them out but I'm not sure how to explain it.

Comment

Oh no, those pictures are just sample pictures of what I could work with.
          "Dearly Beloved" by Denes Agay has no guitar chords represented above the staff.
          I don't want you to bother anyone to getting the chords to the songs for me, I was hoping someone would know where sheet music contain in "Dearly Beloved" would have the chords depicted above the staff.
          Thanks for the help!
          Hammond SK1-61

Comment

Thank you. Now I understand your request.

I don't know what songs are included in there. But the trouble I always have (I assume that we all do) is that when trying to find sheet music in standard notation that has not been rearranged for guitar, that's all I can ever find! If these are pieces of popular music, which I expect they must be, finding guitar arrangements should be easy to find.

What is the title of one?

Comment

Thank you KC9UDX. I think I found what I need here. I'll no doubt come back if it does not work.
              Thanks for the help to all!
              https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-...8/Product.aspx
              Hammond SK1-61

Comment

Originally posted by Reed View Post
                Thank you KC9UDX. I think I found what I need here. I'll no doubt come back if it does not work.
                Thanks for the help to all!
                Reed,

No doubt what you found will work, however, if we had known the piece you wanted chords for was the wedding standard, I Love You Truly, we probably could have helped you more accurately. I'm glad you found what you needed anyway.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Michael
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I don't know ... if you put the title of that collection into Google you find it is carried by several different retail sources. Just about all of them include the following description of the volume: "In Dearly Beloved, the well-known composer, arranger, and bestselling author Denes Agay collected canonical music associated with love and marriage by composers such as Bach, Handel, Schumann, Wagner, and Chopin. Agay chose timeless pieces from the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods-works that have created a beautiful atmosphere for generations of wedding ceremonies. Dearly Beloved offers a finely edited and arranged variety of sheet music for anyone looking to create an unforgettable traditional wedding. The author of ninety-six books, Denes Agay was best known for his collections, anthologies, and texts for piano studies, especially the Easy Classics to Moderns and Joy Of series. Dr. Agay's books and arrangements have sold millions of copies".

Does that sound like a collection that would include "I Love You Truly"? Does it sound like guitar chords would be available for any of the selections unless created by the end user themselves? The answer to both questions is a resounding 'negatory' to this writer*. I don't think the final QA is ready to be signed of on just yet. But that's just me.

If "ILYT" is actually written by Carl Schumann just ignore my obvious ignorance but I'm probably right about the guitar chords.

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It certainly doesn't sound like a collection that would include I Love You Truly. Perhaps if the OP had provided more detailed information.... Oh, well.

Michael

The Song Book "Dearly Beloved" By Denes Agay
                  Very difficult to find the sheet music with Chord symbols printed above the Staff.

Processional (air from Water music) ; Where'er you walk (from Semele) / George Frideric Handel --
                  Praise my soul the King of Heaven / Sir John Goss --
                  Bridal chorus (from Lohengrin) / Richard Wagner --
                  Trumpet tune ; Trumpet voluntary / Henry Purcell --
                  Fairest Lord Jesus (Crusaders' hymn) / Silesian folk song --
                  Prelude / Frederic Chopin --
                  Meditation (from Thaïs) / Jules Massenet --
                  Sheep may safely graze (from the Birthday cantata) ; Arioso ; Jesu, joy of man's desiring ; My heart ever faithful / Johann Sebastian Bach --
                  Nocturne (from A midsummer night's dream) ; Wedding march (from A midsummer night's dream) / Felix Mendelssohn --
                  Serenade / Franz Schubert --
                  Wedding day (theme from Wedding day at Troldhaugen) ; I love thee / Edvard Grieg --
                  Reverie = (Träumerei) / Robert Schumann --
                  Psalm XVIII / Benedetto Marcello --
                  O God, our help in ages past / William Croft --
                  Love divine, all loves excelling / John Zundel --
                  Now thank we all our God / Johann Crüger --
                  Entreat me not to leave thee ; The King of love my Shepherd is / Charles Gounod --
                  O Lord of mercy = (Panis angelicus) / César Franck --
                  O perfect love / Sir Joseph Barnby --
                  A prayer (Bitten) / Ludwig van Beethoven --
                  Because / Guy d'Hardelot --
                  The Lord is my Shepherd (vocal solo or duet) / Henry Smart --
                  I love you truly / Carrie Jacobs Bond.
                  Hammond SK1-61

Comment

Reed, not just 'very difficult' to find chord symbols to that song book, IMPOSSIBLE, to find chord symbols to that song book. With the singular exception of I Love You Truly, which is almost certainly a selection slipped in by the publisher without Agay's knowledge or permission. Except for ILYT, the other selections belong to what is called "Classical Repertoire". I'm sorry, modern guitars just were not a thought in those earlier times. Classical guitarists are very adept working from standard notation. If you cannot read standard notation at all, I kindly suggest that you learn. It isn't that hard.

I have been looking for "O Perfect Love" for years. I used to have a stand alone copy of it. Just about every Protestant hymnal has it in the section for Wedding Hymns. The art song from which the hymn is based goes much further and is really effective when done by a competent singer. Thank you for bringing this collection to our attention. There are some lovely songs in there and maybe what you really need to do is YouTube the ones you want to try and work out your own accompaniment by ear. If that is a challenge for you then learning how to play by ear is really, IMO, a more important skill for a contemporary guitarist to learn than reading chord symbols or standard notation.

I suggest taking this question to a guitar centered forum rather than one like this which is, of necessity, rather keyboard centric.

Comment

Thank you Leisesturm, and appreciation to the others trying to help. Time to learn some new techniques.
                      Hammond SK1-61

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
                        I have been looking for "O Perfect Love" for years. I used to have a stand alone copy of it. Just about every Protestant hymnal has it in the section for Wedding Hymns.
                        Try here: https://hymnary.org/text/o_perfect_l...thought_transc

Michael

Comment

Reed, you might try https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music...bs-chords.list
                          They have several offerings for wedding songs arranged for various styles. Many of the songs included in your book are also in several of the books they have. I can't vouch for any particular book because I don't own any and haven't played any of the songs from any of them. Some of the books are listed other places with excerpts you can look through and try.
                          Sam
                          Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                          Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                            What I am looking for is the original Joseph Barnby anthem or solo that the hymn was based on. I used to have it. It's quite a piece, about four pages long. That is probably what is in that Agay collection, so I have found it I suppose. Or it has found me ... Amazon has it for $11.50. I'm trying to decide if I want it that badly. I can't remember the last time I played for a Wedding. Tastes run to Lionel Ritchie and Whitney Houston for solo repertoire these days anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                            X