No announcement yet.

Ditch Projection Screens & Bring Back Hymnals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We would not be able to do a "hymn sing" before our services. We have 3 services, at 0845, 0945, and 1100 in our Sanctuary, with only 15 minutes (if that) between. The Prelude is limited to just a few minutes, too. During our services there are only 2 hymns, typically with just a couple of verses. The Pastor takes up fully half the service--5 minutes at the beginning for announcements and another 25 for the Sermon. The Choir does sing 1 or 2 anthems, but much of the liturgy is omitted. (We sing the Doxology maybe once a month and the Gloria Patri maybe twice a year. John Wesley would be mortified.) We have 2 screens, on either side of the Chancel, and it does display announcements, prayer requests, hymn lyrics, and an occasional video in support of the Sermon. Hymnals are provided under the pews (an extremely awkward location, IMHO). Our lovely Klais organ does play the Hymns and (usually) the Prelude and Postlude. Sometimes those slots are filled by special musical groups (visiting musicians, handbells, local folks). Our childrens' choirs sing in worship at least once a quarter.

As a "Liturgical Methodist" our services do not satisfy me very well, but I keep a stiff upper lip. Most of the anthems sung by the Choir are modern (composed after 2000), but at least they are solid, well-composed music with a message. The Choir Director does throw in an "Oldie" once in a while (just to keep me from defaulting to the Anglicans, I think)--yesterday morning we sang Handel's "This Is the Day the Lord Has Made", for example. (It went well and the congregation loved it.)

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
      We would not be able to do a "hymn sing" before our services. We have 3 services, at 0845, 0945, and 1100 in our Sanctuary, with only 15 minutes (if that) between. The Prelude is limited to just a few minutes, too. During our services there are only 2 hymns, typically with just a couple of verses. The Pastor takes up fully half the service--5 minutes at the beginning for announcements and another 25 for the Sermon. The Choir does sing 1 or 2 anthems, but much of the liturgy is omitted. (We sing the Doxology maybe once a month and the Gloria Patri maybe twice a year. John Wesley would be mortified.) We have 2 screens, on either side of the Chancel, and it does display announcements, prayer requests, hymn lyrics, and an occasional video in support of the Sermon. Hymnals are provided under the pews (an extremely awkward location, IMHO). Our lovely Klais organ does play the Hymns and (usually) the Prelude and Postlude. Sometimes those slots are filled by special musical groups (visiting musicians, handbells, local folks). Our childrens' choirs sing in worship at least once a quarter.

As a "Liturgical Methodist" our services do not satisfy me very well, but I keep a stiff upper lip. Most of the anthems sung by the Choir are modern (composed after 2000), but at least they are solid, well-composed music with a message. The Choir Director does throw in an "Oldie" once in a while (just to keep me from defaulting to the Anglicans, I think)--yesterday morning we sang Handel's "This Is the Day the Lord Has Made", for example. (It went well and the congregation loved it.)

David
      I like the liturgy of the Methodist church,...the way our service is formatted at Epworth UMC satisfies me. We don't have a choir,though. A couple praise songs,and the rest is hymnal. A "Call To Worship" responsive reading,and at the close of service a benediction responsive reading. We do the Doxology every service. We only have piano,though now,...no organ(as you may know,...if you have read my other earlier posts or responses to posts,...the organ that USED to be at our church now sits in my living room)
      Late 1980's Rodgers Essex 640

Comment

Working...
      X