Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noel Rawsthorne Arrangements

Hi, everyone,

It’s been some time since I posted. A brief update, then, I have been taking organ lessons for about 6 months now and get access to the three manual Allen (Renaissance model of some variety, I believe) at my university for practice (much to the music majors’ chagrin, no doubt). Since I have been taking simply as a hobby, my teacher has been working through some arrangements of my choosing (after I had the basics down, of course).

In any case, I recently ran across a Samuel Metzger recording of Noel Rawsthorne’s Prelude on Londonderry Air. I cannot seem to locate the arrangement, however. I looked at the collections by Kevin Mayhew and didn’t find it there, although I could’ve simply overlooked it, nor have I been able to find it in a Google search, etc. In any case, whatever help you all could provide in helping locate a copy of that arrangement (along with other favorites if you have any to suggest), I’d be most grateful!

While there are a number of recordings of this piece, I have not been able to find the music either. One suggestion, you could contact Ian Tracey who was a student of Rawsthorne. He has a website with contact information. If you do find out where this music is available, would you be so kind as to let this forum know? I would also like to obtain a copy.

Best of luck to you.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Look for the book “Music for the Bride” published by Kevin Mayhew.

Comment

While the o.p. is tracking down the NR arrangement of Londonderry Air they might try and locate the one done by Edwin Lemare. I haven't heard either one, but I have the score of the Lemare version and find that it ticks most of the boxes for arrangements of this tune: cantus soloed in left hand against Swell strings; louder chorus on plenum registration; return to cantus; climax on diapason chorus; pp ending to tearful applause. What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
        X