"Crown Him With Many Crowns" arr. Swann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Crown Him With Many Crowns" arr. Swann

This is one of my favorite arrangements to play and listen to, so I wanted to share it with the forum. It is based on the tune Diademata by George J. Elvey and arranged by the former Crystal Cathedral organist Frederick Swann.

[Copywritten piece removed. Michael–Moderator] Please do not post material still under copyright. Thanks.
    Last edited by myorgan; 04-07-2020, 08:45 PM. Reason: Remove copywritten piece.
    “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Allen 2100(T); 1951 M.P. Moller, 3 manual, 56 stop, 60 ranks, (Opus 8152); and 1965 Balcom and Vaughan 3 manual, 34 stops, 25 ranks (Opus 690)

Philip,

I believe there is a copy of the book this piece came from currently available on *Bay. I have a copy of the same book (from the Crystal Cathedral). You can point people there.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

The book that this arrangement is from is "Crystal Cathedral Golden Collection". https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Cathe.../dp/1423408195
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Allen 2100(T); 1951 M.P. Moller, 3 manual, 56 stop, 60 ranks, (Opus 8152); and 1965 Balcom and Vaughan 3 manual, 34 stops, 25 ranks (Opus 690)

Comment

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a different book than the one I have. Thank you for reminding us of it.

Michael

• Larrytow
        Larrytow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Phillip ! I guess I had better order that one. Then I could play it the "right" way, rather than my by-ear / faking it version. Of course, most of the churches I currently play for only have two manual organs, and that piece really needs at least a three manual to do it justice. But I have one at home anyhow.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        If you just couple everything everywhere and let those stops shoot out, the organ (no matter the size will sound awesome -at least to me). The book does sort of "require" a nice solo reed and a very "loud and proud" 16'/32'. I used to do the same 'play by ear' and it felt so good to play the real way.

You can hear me play this as the Easter recessional hymn by going to this link and skipping to 1:12:00 (or to 1:15:45 for organ solo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HyuMXiToQ
      (The organ is a relocated 60 rank Moller.)
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• Larrytow
        Larrytow commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent rendition Phillip !!! That had to feel sorta strange to play that piece / hymn, on that organ, in that large of a room, with only a handful of people there, instead of a full Easter congregation. However, you did a fine job of it ! The pedal line is very cool; I forgot about it. I have not listened to the CD I have of Swann playing all those arrangements in some time now - gotta dig it out and do so again.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Is was very weird. Normally I have the expression pedals at 100% but with 9 people I had to reduce them to about 30%!

Very enjoyable, Philip.

Comment

Working...
      X