VPO Audio Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPO Audio Recordings

Hello VPOers! (My English teacher would be ashamed).

I thought maybe we could have a thread where anybody could upload recordings of their VPO they'd like to share. I love listening to music, especially organ music, and I (and I assume the rest of the Forum) would love to hear you playing. Now placed in one convenient thread! I hope you all like this idea and find some time to put recordings up!
    Philip
    “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Are you aware of the Contrebombarde concert hall site? It is 100% VPO recordings posted by both professional and amateur organists. You get to hear a wide variety of sample sets and a wide range of music styles and periods.

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/front
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Just a couple of points to keep in mind when uploading files to Forum:
      • Maximum size for audio files is 5 MB
      • Each registered user has a storage quota for all attachments of 50 MB
      • There is no built-in audio player for files uploaded as attachments. Users will have to download your file in order to listen to it.
      • Because of the above limitations, it is recommended that you do not upload audio files to the Forum as attachments, but host them elsewhere.
      • Use the audio buttons in the editor toolbar to link to external audio files and embed them in your post. You can embed .mp3 .wav. and files on SoundCloud
      • Read Including Audio In Your Posts for detailed information on this subject.
      • Topics and posts devoted to recorded music should be placed in one of the Channels under the Organ Music forum. The organ channels of the Forum are intended for the discussion of organs, not organ music.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops, sorry. I didn't even know there was such a channel.

Here is one I recorded quite a few years ago on a jOrgan sampleset using a single keyboard and laying down multiple MIDI tracks.

I thought that Contrebombarde only allowed postings from Hauptwerk users.

Comment

• sandstone42
        sandstone42 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was Paul Stratman's American Classic Organ synthesized soundfont. It's still available today. https://stratmaninstruments.wordpress.com/ The disposition is one I made based on the organ in the chapel at the former MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL.

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Your playing makes me want to find this arrangement and play it! Thank you for sharing.

Michael

• j reimer
        j reimer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for sharing that with us. Very enjoyable. You and this forum are doing much better than I did a few months ago on a European organ forum, where I shared a sound clip which has had well over a thousand viewers, and not a single comment posted!

Here's an audio recording of a favorite Easter hymn. "Crown Him With Many Crowns" arranged by Frederick Swann. Mind the not-so-smooth registration change. This is my favorite hymn arrangement of all time. My brother has added scores for 2 full orchestras and timpanis that he hopes to use someday (good luck). Enjoy.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TiM...ew?usp=sharing
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! A lovely arrangement, excellent playing, and beautiful organ sounds from Friesach, of course.

Here's my all-time favorite Easter hymn "Good Christians, All Rejoice and Sing" with a little fun on the last verse that I will use for this Sunday. (The switch in registration during the first verse is supposed to replicate women and men only parts). Play on the mighty Freisach.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RDj...ew?usp=sharing

And I wanted to test out my composition skills so I wrote it out. If anybody does want this simplistic work, have at it.

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...eb58d265654a8d
      Last edited by Philip Powell; 04-20-2021, 03:24 PM.
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        Printed out your score and love it! Very rich and full (and a finger-stretcher!) and still very playable.

I've not seen this website before. Looks like an interesting way to distribute music scores.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! It follows my methods for simple last verses by getting up to an octave higher and sustaining bass notes. Normally I'd add a descant as well. It's basically the normal hymn but it sounds more impressive and full.

It's totally free and does the trick for me.

• davidecasteel
        davidecasteel commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice rendition of GELOBT SEI GOTT by Melchior Vulpius.

"Service of Music" for the Fourth Sunday of Easter (Good Shepherd Sunday).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EmG...ew?usp=sharing

Offertory- At The Lamb's High Feast We Sing with last verse by Noel Rawsthorne
      Communion- The King of Love My Shepherd Is
      Recessional- Be Joyful Mary Heavenly Queen with last verse by Scott Powell
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovely sounds and great playing!

• Larrytow
        Larrytow commented
        Editing a comment
        I should know offhand what tune you are using for "At the Lambs High Feast", because it is very familiar. But it is not the tune I normally associate with that hymn. I'm used to it being set to "SONNE DER GERECHTIGKEIT". Great playing as usual.

Getting ready for my first wedding this Saturday!

Trumpet Voluntary in D - Jeremiah Clarke: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J2v...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• tbeck
        tbeck commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, Philip. Yeah, that was a lame joke.

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        Out of luck, yes. The graphical voicing tool is unavailable in the lite version.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        myorgan Hehe, we do that too.
        tbeck You got me laughing, that's for sure!
        jbird604 Ugh.....

Just a crude recording in preparation for Pentecost: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lf_...ew?usp=sharing
      - Down Ampney - Come Down O Love Divine - Processional Hymn

Philip
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• you795a
        you795a commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounded good.

I'll toss in one just because I have it. I recorded this a few weeks ago and published it as "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty!" This week, we are using a modern hymn with the same tune, "O God of Vision" -- a marvelous text by Jane Parker Huber (written in 1981), one of our finest modern-day American hymnists. I wanted to post a preview on Facebook for our congregation, and thought I'd share it here as well, since it was made using my VPO setup. I don't even recall what sample set I was using, possibly Friesach, with release tails trimmed.

I captioned it with the words for stanzas 1, 2, and 5, which we will be singing tomorrow morning as our Communion Hymn. Y'all remember I'm a self-taught country organist, so don't make fun of my playing. (Or my socks -- BTW, I've noticed a LOT of organists lately posting videos with sock feet on the pedals. Richard McVeigh and I may have started a trend!).

John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        The release tails are the various lengths of authentic recorded room sustain that go with each note of each stop. In Grand Orgue, there is a control on the panel to "trim" these tails to your liking, thus making a very wet sample set exhibit almost no room reverb after the key is lifted.

However, the tones are still "fat" with room resonance, so not a true dry set. It's a way to make a wet set more useful for live practice or for making a recording that will have reverb added in the processing. Best to actually have both wet and dry sets available to use as appropriate for a given situation.

• Peterboroughdiapason
        Peterboroughdiapason commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you do the same thing in Hauptwerk?

• jbird604
        jbird604 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see an actual "release length" control in my HW 4.2, but the manual says it is possible to truncate the tails. I found an option in the organ loading menu to load an organ with tails truncated at the length of your choice. I tried that with one set, and it definitely worked, made the wet set sound like a dry one. Right now I'm puzzled that there isn't a simple control for that, as there is in GO, which of course is pretty much Hauptwerk barebones. Perhaps I'm missing something, or maybe version 6 (which is the current HW) has a more obvious control for the tails.

A little recording of me and my new sample set, St. Mary-le-bow. I do really like the set. It is quite English but has hints of some French voicing which I love.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1k...1cCOPv7i3/view

Philip
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• you795a
        you795a commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounded good. One of my many favorites.

• cymbalstern
        cymbalstern commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice with a moderate amount of reverb. Did you tailor the reverb period or is this the default reverb for the sample set? I particularly like the sound of English chorus reeds.

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the original reverb that comes with the set. I like it very much.

So, I am going out on a limb here a posting my first ever real try at a reharmonization. It's of the hymn "Rejoice, The Lord is King" (Darwall's 148th). If you have comments (constructive criticism) or suggested edits, let me know! The piece is free to anybody that might want to print it out (make monstrous edits, I'm sure) and use it.

(Played using the St. Mary-le-bow organ)

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...99233c659d57c1
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S4h...uTQkKgrUt/view

Philip
      Last edited by Philip Powell; 06-07-2021, 08:33 PM.
      Organs I Play:

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        myorgan Noteflight

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Philip. I've been teaching my middle school students to use MuseScore (also free & cross-platform), so I was going to offer help if it was that program. BTW, MuseScore does allow for pickup measures. Someone else would need to answer for Noreflight.

Michael

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Maybe I'll use MuseScore instead from now on!

Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
      ...my first ever real try at a reharmonization.
      Nice job, Philip. Thanks for sharing. This will be very useful. I don't have St. Mary-le-bow, but I like the sound of this organ and your registrations very much.
      Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

• Philip Powell
        Philip Powell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Yes, the organ is very nice and HW's couplers and GUI voicing helps a lot with the registrations.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Darwell's 148th opening.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	773608​​
      Philip, I second Musescore which is amazing for a free programme. One more suggestion: if you use 2 voices on each stave it can make the music easier to read and uses fewer tied notes. The above is the way I'd probably have written the 1st 4 bars.

If this is annoying rather than helpful (as is the intention), just ignore it!

Comment

• Larrytow
        Larrytow commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I second ( or whatever number of the many endorsements here already ) Musescore for doing things like this. I don't use it much, because I tend to never actually write out any arrangements I make up. When I do use it then, I always have to do a lot of reading in the manuals to get it to do what I want as far as how the score looks. It makes very nice results when you take the time to explore all the options. Like any program, I suppose if you use it regularly, doing the things you usually need becomes routine.

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Philip,

Assuming Peterboroughdiapason correctly re-wrote your arrangement, I noticed you have parallel octaves between the Soprano & Bass in the 3rd complete measure. In "traditional" harmonization, parallel octaves, 4ths, or 5ths are discouraged unless you're going for a special effect. Generally, you can avoid that issue by writing the offending parts in contrary motion. Simply changing the 2nd beat bass note of the 3rd measure to an E would avoid the parallel octaves.

Michael

The Catholic Parishes that I have subbed at have long since given up hymns like "Rejoice, the Lord is King" and now worship exclusively out of the "Journeysongs" or "Gather" hymnals. Some of the traditional tunes exist in these collections but they simply don't touch them. Western Oregon seems to have lost the taste for 'High Church', and my United Methodist Congregation is the third one I've served that has gone over to a "Praise and Worship" format while I am still on the payroll. I usually quit when this happens but I am running out of churches to apply to.

Philip here makes me think there is hope for the future of an organ supported worship experience. To a one, from the Bishop on down, the leadership of the Greater Northwest Conference of the united Methodist Church insist that the only way to take the Church into the 21st Century is to engage "Millenials, Z's and Alpha's" by doing away with Hymns and Anthems, and adopting Death Metal music to Christian lyrics. Maybe an Alternative Rock ballad to break things up, but nothing that reeks of 'old fashioned hymnody'.

I am well aware that Episcopal Cathedrals in big cities east and west of the Continental divide still use organ as the foundation of congregational singing but I had no idea that our Catholic cousins kept this tradition alive. I was in my early 20's when I discovered 'Free Harmonizations'. Sadly, I simply couldn't use them in my church. My congregation couldn't stand them. Now I have a congregation that wouldn't mind, but the Pastor can't stand them.

Godspeed, young Philip. I am going to be thinking of you when I make a written case for the continuation of some aspect of traditional worship preserved for future generations to enjoy. If you don't mind sharing, I'd really like to know how you came to enjoy organ led Worship as much as you obviously do.
      -H

Comment

Working...
      X