VPO Audio Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
    the leadership ... insist that the only way to take the Church into the 21st Century is to engage "Millenials, Z's and Alpha's" by doing away with Hymns and Anthems, and adopting Death Metal music to Christian lyrics. ..., but nothing that reeks of 'old fashioned hymnody'.
    One United Methodist church in my home town tried this approach. In spite of having a beautiful organ, they thought contemporary music was the secret to growing their church. They hired a praise band and started another Sunday morning service. While a few people attended, it was not the panacea they were hoping for. They did not generate enough in offerings to pay for the praise band, so the gave up the idea.

On the other hand, many Episcopal churches are finding that young people are drawn to Sunday evening Compline services. Below is an excerpt from a newsletter in the Diocese of Rochester, New York. I am aware of a number of other Episcopal churches throughout the U.S. that are finding a similar response.

In 1997, Christ Church began observing the Office of Compline - a short, sung liturgy held on Sunday evenings in candlelight. ... Compline offers attendees a passive but profound worship experience. Mystical and musically rich, the service has gradually drawn in larger and larger crowds over the years, and many in those crowds - typically more than half - are in their 20s and 30s.

When Compline began at Christ Church, the choir consisted of Kennedy and a few other people in town who were interested in learning chant from the Neumes notation - a medieval predecessor to modern sheet music. Interest in Gregorian chant was on the rise, and Kennedy said Christ Church’s aesthetics and acoustics seemed to suit the service. Few people attended, at first, but word began to spread.

“Then the whole service just started to grow gradually,”
    Here is a link to the entire article: https://www.episcopalrochester.org/c...ep-watch-night
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
      If you don't mind sharing, I'd really like to know how you came to enjoy organ led Worship as much as you obviously do.
      Sorry my response has been so delayed! It's not very complicated, however. I have always loved the Liturgy and Traditions (and traditions) of the Catholic (and Anglican actually) Church. It's just so breathtaking and beautiful and really does lift you up to God. I have always loved the architecture of huge cathedrals and you know what every cathedral must have? Yep, a pipe organ! So even as a little kid, I have always found the sound of the organ just astonishing. My second oldest brother (of 7) studied music in college, became a director at an Anglican parish, then a Catholic one, then a proto-cathedral, and then two cathedral positions, one of which he still holds. He and I are very, very similar in personality and we have always enjoyed hanging out with each other despite the 14 year age gap. So his influence led me to want to play the organ and direct choirs.
      I personally got into the liturgical music "business" when I began singing as a boy soprano at age 7 in our parish choir (I now sing bass 8 years later!) I was able to sing all the descants and the boy soprano solos of Ben Brittain's Ceremony of Carols, which was my first solo performance. Our director was a master in vocal training and I still have a lot of it ingrained in me 8 years later without any further training.
      I got into the organ (or at least playing it) in December of 2018 where I took organ lessons from our parish organist. After three months of lessons, I was appointed as the parish school's organist. I wasn't able to read music at all three months before so when I was told I was playing (not asked, mind you) I was slightly terrified. But I am so glad the opportunity came because I quickly got the hang of the organist role. Then 6 months later the head organist went on maternity leave (and then moved) and I was appointed principal organist starting in Holy Week 2019. I have held the position since and also picked up the title "Interm Music Director" in May of that year.
      Due to Covid, we had no congregational singing (just organ music) until September of this past year where I began actually conducting and teaching music to our girls choir (which I used to be part of... so it hasn't always been all girls) and for the adult schola. I was also in charge of making disposable worship aids (I loved doing that) and scheduling cantors for the evening weekend Masses and for daily feasts and other occasions. I just love doing anything related to sacred music!
      I will say that I love directing choirs. I love working through the individual parts, helping them mix their voices and listen to each other, adding and adjusting dynamics, etc. Obviously playing the organ is a blast (not necessarily our parish organ though) but I have also gained that desire to be a 2 for 1 director and organist.
      Leisesturm I am sure that this is way more than you wanted to know but I was on a roll...

Philip
      Last edited by Philip Powell; 06-18-2021, 02:22 PM.
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

This thread has been very quiet for some time so I thought I'd post a little recording of Gordon Young's "Prelude in Classic Style" which I recorded a couple of months ago. Titled a prelude even though I think it works better as a postlude. It's a wonderful piece and really not too hard. Please mind the mistakes. Played on the amazing organ of St. Mary le bow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1Z...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
        Organs I Play:
        - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          One thing I love about this organ is that the swell reeds don't make a huge statement until the shades are all the way open so full swell is good for accompaniment (the LH in this piece) and it really useful for expression (as I also did in the piece).

• Peterboroughdiapason
          Peterboroughdiapason commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent demonstration and very useful to me. As I've said, I'm about to get a Hauptwerk organ and still deciding which sample sets to get.. The reeds sound great in your recording and I think the St Mary-le-Bow organ is very good. (I haven't played there for about 50 years and the organ is very different now!)

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like to play there one day. One day...
          The set also comes with the original two manual instrument and the extended 3 manual.

This weekend's recessional hymn "O Living Bread From Heaven" to the awesome tune of Aurelia (Dan Forrest has a great arrangement of it, by the way).
        Played on Freisach. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lav...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I almost always use Noel Rawsthorne's "200 Last Verses" for my reharmonizations which is a book I'd recommend to every church organist (or anybody who likes playing hymns).

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Aha! I have that book somewhere, I think. I should take a look at it and see what I can find.

• Leisesturm
          Leisesturm commented
          Editing a comment
          That reharm was from 200 Last Verses?! No way. But, seriously Philip, you need to find the Hymnal Supplement to the United Methodist Hymnal. It has a kick ___ reharm of AURELIA and other tunes that you like to play. Just tear the covers off when you get it. No one will know. Strictly entre nous

Recessional hymn for this upcoming Sunday: Jesus Shall Reign (Duke Street) with last verse reharmonization by the great Noel Rawsthorne. Played on the organ of St. Mary le bow. Hope you enjoy it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tgM...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          Just take your private jet 😜

• Leisesturm
          Leisesturm commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm on his coast. I don't need a jet. Just a rental car. I was looking into it while my church is closed but it turns out there is a church only 3 blocks away that is open and they needed an organist ... but its on my list.

• Peterboroughdiapason
          Editing a comment
          Excellent - Rawsthorne's last verses are always well constructed and tasteful - in this case, except for that chord, about 4 from the end!

I finally sat down and learned my all-time favorite hymn without question. The Thalben-Ball accompaniment in my hymnal has always kind of scared me but after running through it multiple times, I realize it's not all that hard.
        So here is "O Love of God"/"And Did Those Feet in Ancient Times" to the tune Jerusalem by the the great Charles H. Parry.
        I hope you enjoy, sing along, and realize why it's my definite favorite.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vsR...ew?usp=sharing

(Also, a little note to make sure that everyone knows that this is not me "showing off" in any way, I just want you all to have the opportunity to hear some music from somebody you know. I love hearing others play, so I assume the same of you all. I hope others begin posting recordings more often as well.)

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

For today's recessional hymn we did the hymn "Come, Christians Join to Sing" to the tune Madrid. I wrote a little last verse harmonization that I wanted to share. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Erk...ew?usp=sharing
        Come, Christians Join to Sing - P. Powell.pdf

Philip
        Attached Files
        Organs I Play:

Comment

Another little reharm I've written for this upcoming Sunday. It's for the hymn "Come, Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs" to the tune Graefenberg.

Come, Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs - P. Powell.pdf

Philip
          Last edited by Philip Powell; 10-16-2021, 09:45 AM.
          Organs I Play:

Comment

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            Audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Fk...ew?usp=sharing

• Leisesturm
            Leisesturm commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my. That is indeed very tasty. But don't stop there. The whole notes are begging for some harmonic motion to carry through with the momentum you already created with the passing tones. That tune also begs for a descant harmonization. One where you mess with the melody notes. Perfectly fine (maybe preferable) to use the standard harmony then. Opening phrase Ex. F, G, A; Bb,C; C,F,E; _C,C,D; C,F,F,E,D,E; F ... the last several notes in measure 5 are in 8th note rhythm.

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! I do think your ideas are good. The only problem is that I generally only get to play with a cantor and they usually don't appreciate too much "extra" on the organ for hymns.

Ok, here goes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zXW...ew?usp=sharing Processional in Eb Major by David N Johnson. There is obviously multi-tracing going on ...

Comment

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful! Nice piece of music and great playing!

Here's one I recorded on jOrgan using Paul Stratman's ACO soundfont adapted to the Allen MOS-1 stoplist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-14 13-12-54.png
Views:	134
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	784034

Comment

• Leisesturm
            Leisesturm commented
            Editing a comment
            Sublime ...

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! I'll use this piece in the future!

I think your thread is finally on a roll Phillip. I did this one in honor of St. Patrick's Day. A real Piper was out of the question so ...https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iGv...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            I am glad to see it's picking up! Nice playing!

• Peterboroughdiapason
            Editing a comment
            Very effective, Leisesturm. I've had to play this at a funeral or two but not made a very good job of it, I fear.

By the way: why did you choose it for St Patrick's Day?

• Leisesturm
            Leisesturm commented
            Editing a comment
            O dear, what have I done ... why not Highland Cathedral for St. Pat's? Is it because it's of Scottish association? This far from the action it doesn't make any difference. On the West Coast, my wife (from Burnley) is routinely assumed to be from Australia. Anything remotely Celtic sounding is assumed to be Irish. I never knew of a connection with funerals and "H.C.". I wouldn't try to play it live where my right hand was tied up playing the Pipe tune. Using Garage Band I was able to record the pipes separately and thus be able to play two handed chords for the Organ Accompaniment.

I'll keep the thread rolling (I seem to be doing that most of the time 😂) with a little recording of my almost too short postlude for this Sunday, the XXX Sunday in Ordinary Time. The piece is Bach's (or whoever's) Little Prelude in F Major (BWV 556) played on the St. John Cantius organ in Cracow that I was finally able to install with HW. I had used in it GO and liked it a lot so I am glad to have it up and running in HW where adjusting the ranks of this organ make it a playground.
          Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otE...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
          Organs I Play:

Comment

• sandstone42
            sandstone42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great! I was waiting for the fugue, too.

• Philip Powell
            Philip Powell commented
            Editing a comment
            I am not particularly good with fugues. Maybe next week...

Here's another little thing I hope you will enjoy: a reharmonization of the great hymn "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" (GROSSER GOTT). Every Catholic church will belt this one out so I know I had to add some extra kick to this one. I think I really hit hard with dissonance.
          Played on the St. Mary-le-bow organ (mind the registration mistake towards the end!).
          Hope you like it and as always I am open to suggestions and to you using the score!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7O...ew?usp=sharing
          Holy God We Praise Thy Name - P. Powell.pdf

Philip

Organs I Play:

Comment

At last my new Hauptwerk organ has arrived! Sadly, though, I had to help move it (due to someone having his appendix out 2 days earlier) and have hurt my back: I can only play it for a few minutes at the moment. Still I recorded a little piece on each of the three organs I have so far: Rotterdam Laurenskerk Transept organ, Caen Cathedral and the Armley Schulze organ.

Here, attached, is:
            • "Magnificat Fugue in F" by Pachelbel on the Laurenskerk organ
            • At 1.35: "Sœur Anne de la Croix" (from Suite Carmelite) by Jean François on the Caen organ
            • At 2.40: "A Rockingham Fanfare" on the Armley Schulze - I find this organ a bit too reverberant for loud sounds, although I usually listen through headphones, to spare the wife and the dog, and the acoustic is great for that.

Stephen
            Attached Files

Comment

• Philip Powell
              Philip Powell commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats! it's very exciting to suddenly have all organ power right at your finger (and toe) tips! Great playing!
              I hope the back gets better soon!

• sandstone42
              sandstone42 commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a great start to my Sunday morning.

My favorite piece of all-time (at least of the softer type): Durufle's Chant Donne - Hommage a Jean Gallon. Played on the Great Romantic set from Augustine Virtual Organs.
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/14dI...ew?usp=sharing
            Score: https://musescore.com/user/553026/scores/6691443

Philip
            Organs I Play:

Comment

• Peterboroughdiapason
              Editing a comment
              Lovely performance, Philip - very peaceful and expressive.

The edition you are using is not very authentic. In any case, the work is still in copyright, at least in the UK. It was published in 1953 and the composer died in 1986 so it's not, I think, a legal copy

The piece was written for a collection of harmony exercises - in open score and using C clefs (except for the bass) and not for organ, although it works very well on the organ. There are, therefore, no pedal indications. There were dynamic markings suggesting on the organ, to me, only use of the swell pedal. Personally, I play it with the pedals coupled (to make the stretches easier) but with no pedal stops. I don't make any stop changes - just use the swell pedal.

Two points: the comma in bar 14 seems to me to be misplaced. The melody starts with the held C at the beginning of the bar, not the G. I tend to make a little rit in the previous bar and then play bar 14 a tempo with no break after the first note.

The last chord should be a minor chord - there is no tierce de picardie in the original - but is certainly tempting!

However, as I said, I really enjoyed your performance - just nit-picking!
              Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 11-09-2021, 09:13 AM.

• Philip Powell
              Philip Powell commented
              Editing a comment
              - Thanks for the insight! I've heard Fraser Gartshore's edition which he claims is the most authentic (he's got proof) although I have to admit I like the adaptions I've heard even more, including this one.
              - I had no idea that copy was illegal. It was the first thing that popped up for the score on Google, so I assumed it must be okay.
              - About the comma in 14 --- I do slow down a tiny bit and obviously extend that last note before the comma longer than written but I think the switch back to the beginning melody deserves some time (hence my little pause and the comma in the score).
              - I just can't pass up a major chord there!!
              Again, thanks for the comments!!

• Peterboroughdiapason
              Editing a comment
              I must admit I use a photocopy of the piece - it wasn't in print when I first played it. I wouldn't share it online, though.

As it wasn't written for any specific instrument (possibly wordless chorus) you can play it however you like, of course. (I still think that added comma is unmusical and illogical, but it would be a boring world if we all agreed!)
          Working...
          X