VPO Audio Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
    the leadership ... insist that the only way to take the Church into the 21st Century is to engage "Millenials, Z's and Alpha's" by doing away with Hymns and Anthems, and adopting Death Metal music to Christian lyrics. ..., but nothing that reeks of 'old fashioned hymnody'.
    One United Methodist church in my home town tried this approach. In spite of having a beautiful organ, they thought contemporary music was the secret to growing their church. They hired a praise band and started another Sunday morning service. While a few people attended, it was not the panacea they were hoping for. They did not generate enough in offerings to pay for the praise band, so the gave up the idea.

On the other hand, many Episcopal churches are finding that young people are drawn to Sunday evening Compline services. Below is an excerpt from a newsletter in the Diocese of Rochester, New York. I am aware of a number of other Episcopal churches throughout the U.S. that are finding a similar response.

In 1997, Christ Church began observing the Office of Compline - a short, sung liturgy held on Sunday evenings in candlelight. ... Compline offers attendees a passive but profound worship experience. Mystical and musically rich, the service has gradually drawn in larger and larger crowds over the years, and many in those crowds - typically more than half - are in their 20s and 30s.

When Compline began at Christ Church, the choir consisted of Kennedy and a few other people in town who were interested in learning chant from the Neumes notation - a medieval predecessor to modern sheet music. Interest in Gregorian chant was on the rise, and Kennedy said Christ Church’s aesthetics and acoustics seemed to suit the service. Few people attended, at first, but word began to spread.

“Then the whole service just started to grow gradually,”
    Here is a link to the entire article: https://www.episcopalrochester.org/c...ep-watch-night
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
      If you don't mind sharing, I'd really like to know how you came to enjoy organ led Worship as much as you obviously do.
      Sorry my response has been so delayed! It's not very complicated, however. I have always loved the Liturgy and Traditions (and traditions) of the Catholic (and Anglican actually) Church. It's just so breathtaking and beautiful and really does lift you up to God. I have always loved the architecture of huge cathedrals and you know what every cathedral must have? Yep, a pipe organ! So even as a little kid, I have always found the sound of the organ just astonishing. My second oldest brother (of 7) studied music in college, became a director at an Anglican parish, then a Catholic one, then a proto-cathedral, and then two cathedral positions, one of which he still holds. He and I are very, very similar in personality and we have always enjoyed hanging out with each other despite the 14 year age gap. So his influence led me to want to play the organ and direct choirs.
      I personally got into the liturgical music "business" when I began singing as a boy soprano at age 7 in our parish choir (I now sing bass 8 years later!) I was able to sing all the descants and the boy soprano solos of Ben Brittain's Ceremony of Carols, which was my first solo performance. Our director was a master in vocal training and I still have a lot of it ingrained in me 8 years later without any further training.
      I got into the organ (or at least playing it) in December of 2018 where I took organ lessons from our parish organist. After three months of lessons, I was appointed as the parish school's organist. I wasn't able to read music at all three months before so when I was told I was playing (not asked, mind you) I was slightly terrified. But I am so glad the opportunity came because I quickly got the hang of the organist role. Then 6 months later the head organist went on maternity leave (and then moved) and I was appointed principal organist starting in Holy Week 2019. I have held the position since and also picked up the title "Interm Music Director" in May of that year.
      Due to Covid, we had no congregational singing (just organ music) until September of this past year where I began actually conducting and teaching music to our girls choir (which I used to be part of... so it hasn't always been all girls) and for the adult schola. I was also in charge of making disposable worship aids (I loved doing that) and scheduling cantors for the evening weekend Masses and for daily feasts and other occasions. I just love doing anything related to sacred music!
      I will say that I love directing choirs. I love working through the individual parts, helping them mix their voices and listen to each other, adding and adjusting dynamics, etc. Obviously playing the organ is a blast (not necessarily our parish organ though) but I have also gained that desire to be a 2 for 1 director and organist.
      Leisesturm I am sure that this is way more than you wanted to know but I was on a roll...

Philip
      Last edited by Philip Powell; 06-18-2021, 01:22 PM.
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

This thread has been very quiet for some time so I thought I'd post a little recording of Gordon Young's "Prelude in Classic Style" which I recorded a couple of months ago. Titled a prelude even though I think it works better as a postlude. It's a wonderful piece and really not too hard. Please mind the mistakes. Played on the amazing organ of St. Mary le bow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1Z...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
        Organs I Play:
        - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          One thing I love about this organ is that the swell reeds don't make a huge statement until the shades are all the way open so full swell is good for accompaniment (the LH in this piece) and it really useful for expression (as I also did in the piece).

• Peterboroughdiapason
          Peterboroughdiapason commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent demonstration and very useful to me. As I've said, I'm about to get a Hauptwerk organ and still deciding which sample sets to get.. The reeds sound great in your recording and I think the St Mary-le-Bow organ is very good. (I haven't played there for about 50 years and the organ is very different now!)

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like to play there one day. One day...
          The set also comes with the original two manual instrument and the extended 3 manual.

This weekend's recessional hymn "O Living Bread From Heaven" to the awesome tune of Aurelia (Dan Forrest has a great arrangement of it, by the way).
        Played on Freisach. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lav...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely sounds and magnificent playing! Interesting registration changes and re-harmonizations going on too. I trust your people will enjoy hearing this in the service.

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I almost always use Noel Rawsthorne's "200 Last Verses" for my reharmonizations which is a book I'd recommend to every church organist (or anybody who likes playing hymns).

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Aha! I have that book somewhere, I think. I should take a look at it and see what I can find.

Recessional hymn for this upcoming Sunday: Jesus Shall Reign (Duke Street) with last verse reharmonization by the great Noel Rawsthorne. Played on the organ of St. Mary le bow. Hope you enjoy it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tgM...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely! Wish I could hear you play it in person tomorrow!

• Philip Powell
          Philip Powell commented
          Editing a comment
          Just take your private jet 😜

I finally sat down and learned my all-time favorite hymn without question. The Thalben-Ball accompaniment in my hymnal has always kind of scared me but after running through it multiple times, I realize it's not all that hard.
        So here is "O Love of God"/"And Did Those Feet in Ancient Times" to the tune Jerusalem by the the great Charles H. Parry.
        I hope you enjoy, sing along, and realize why it's my definite favorite.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vsR...ew?usp=sharing

(Also, a little note to make sure that everyone knows that this is not me "showing off" in any way, I just want you all to have the opportunity to hear some music from somebody you know. I love hearing others play, so I assume the same of you all. I hope others begin posting recordings more often as well.)

Philip
        Organs I Play:

Comment

For today's recessional hymn we did the hymn "Come, Christians Join to Sing" to the tune Madrid. I wrote a little last verse harmonization that I wanted to share. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Erk...ew?usp=sharing
          Come, Christians Join to Sing - P. Powell.pdf

Philip
          Attached Files
          Organs I Play:

Comment

Another little reharm I've written for this upcoming Sunday. It's for the hymn "Come, Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs" to the tune Graefenberg.

Come, Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs - P. Powell.pdf

Philip
            Last edited by Philip Powell; Today, 08:45 AM.
            Organs I Play:

Comment

Working...
          X