Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    I must admit I use a photocopy of the piece - it wasn't in print when I first played it. I wouldn't share it online, though.

As it wasn't written for any specific instrument (possibly wordless chorus) you can play it however you like, of course. (I still think that added comma is unmusical and illogical, but it would be a boring world if we all agreed!)

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    - Thanks for the insight! I've heard Fraser Gartshore's edition which he claims is the most authentic (he's got proof) although I have to admit I like the adaptions I've heard even more, including this one.
    - I had no idea that copy was illegal. It was the first thing that popped up for the score on Google, so I assumed it must be okay.
    - About the comma in 14 --- I do slow down a tiny bit and obviously extend that last note before the comma longer than written but I think the switch back to the beginning melody deserves some time (hence my little pause and the comma in the score).
    - I just can't pass up a major chord there!!
    Again, thanks for the comments!!

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely performance, Philip - very peaceful and expressive.

The edition you are using is not very authentic. In any case, the work is still in copyright, at least in the UK. It was published in 1953 and the composer died in 1986 so it's not, I think, a legal copy

The piece was written for a collection of harmony exercises - in open score and using C clefs (except for the bass) and not for organ, although it works very well on the organ. There are, therefore, no pedal indications. There were dynamic markings suggesting on the organ, to me, only use of the swell pedal. Personally, I play it with the pedals coupled (to make the stretches easier) but with no pedal stops. I don't make any stop changes - just use the swell pedal.

Two points: the comma in bar 14 seems to me to be misplaced. The melody starts with the held C at the beginning of the bar, not the G. I tend to make a little rit in the previous bar and then play bar 14 a tempo with no break after the first note.

The last chord should be a minor chord - there is no tierce de picardie in the original - but is certainly tempting!

However, as I said, I really enjoyed your performance - just nit-picking!
    Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 11-09-2021, 09:13 AM.

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe a little too much weight in the pedal 😂

• Philip Powell
    replied
    My favorite piece of all-time (at least of the softer type): Durufle's Chant Donne - Hommage a Jean Gallon. Played on the Great Romantic set from Augustine Virtual Organs.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14dI...ew?usp=sharing
    Score: https://musescore.com/user/553026/scores/6691443

Philip

Leave a comment:

• Leisesturm
    commented on 's reply
    O dear, what have I done ... why not Highland Cathedral for St. Pat's? Is it because it's of Scottish association? This far from the action it doesn't make any difference. On the West Coast, my wife (from Burnley) is routinely assumed to be from Australia. Anything remotely Celtic sounding is assumed to be Irish. I never knew of a connection with funerals and "H.C.". I wouldn't try to play it live where my right hand was tied up playing the Pipe tune. Using Garage Band I was able to record the pipes separately and thus be able to play two handed chords for the Organ Accompaniment.

• sandstone42
    commented on 's reply
    This is a great start to my Sunday morning.

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats! it's very exciting to suddenly have all organ power right at your finger (and toe) tips! Great playing!
    I hope the back gets better soon!

• Peterboroughdiapason
    replied
    At last my new Hauptwerk organ has arrived! Sadly, though, I had to help move it (due to someone having his appendix out 2 days earlier) and have hurt my back: I can only play it for a few minutes at the moment. Still I recorded a little piece on each of the three organs I have so far: Rotterdam Laurenskerk Transept organ, Caen Cathedral and the Armley Schulze organ.

Here, attached, is:
    • "Magnificat Fugue in F" by Pachelbel on the Laurenskerk organ
    • At 1.35: "Sœur Anne de la Croix" (from Suite Carmelite) by Jean François on the Caen organ
    • At 2.40: "A Rockingham Fanfare" on the Armley Schulze - I find this organ a bit too reverberant for loud sounds, although I usually listen through headphones, to spare the wife and the dog, and the acoustic is great for that.

Stephen
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    Very effective, Leisesturm. I've had to play this at a funeral or two but not made a very good job of it, I fear.

By the way: why did you choose it for St Patrick's Day?

• Peterboroughdiapason
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent - Rawsthorne's last verses are always well constructed and tasteful - in this case, except for that chord, about 4 from the end!

• Philip Powell
    replied
    Here's another little thing I hope you will enjoy: a reharmonization of the great hymn "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" (GROSSER GOTT). Every Catholic church will belt this one out so I know I had to add some extra kick to this one. I think I really hit hard with dissonance.
    Played on the St. Mary-le-bow organ (mind the registration mistake towards the end!).
    Hope you like it and as always I am open to suggestions and to you using the score!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7O...ew?usp=sharing
    Holy God We Praise Thy Name - P. Powell.pdf

Philip

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    I am not particularly good with fugues. Maybe next week...

• sandstone42
    commented on 's reply
    Great! I was waiting for the fugue, too.

• Philip Powell
    replied
    I'll keep the thread rolling (I seem to be doing that most of the time 😂) with a little recording of my almost too short postlude for this Sunday, the XXX Sunday in Ordinary Time. The piece is Bach's (or whoever's) Little Prelude in F Major (BWV 556) played on the St. John Cantius organ in Cracow that I was finally able to install with HW. I had used in it GO and liked it a lot so I am glad to have it up and running in HW where adjusting the ranks of this organ make it a playground.
    Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otE...ew?usp=sharing

Philip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X