Christmas HYMNS & ORGAN MUSIC from St Edmundsbury Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas HYMNS & ORGAN MUSIC from St Edmundsbury Cathedral

Well done video with beautiful Christmas music at the Cathedral organ. Richard McVeigh (Beauty in Sound) is the organist.

00:00 | Welcome to St Edmundsbury Cathedral
    01:10 | Once in royal David's city
    05:37 | Of the Father's heart begotten
    10:22 | O come, O come, Emmanuel
    13:59 | O Come, All Ye Faithful
    19:42 | Edmundson - Toccata-Prelude on ‘Vom Himmel Hoch’
    25:42 | O little town of Bethlehem
    30:06 | Lo! He comes with clouds descending
    35:10 | Sing The First Nowell
    39:18 | Ireland - The Holy Boy
    43:17 | God rest ye merry, gentleman
    47:13 | The Angel Gabriel from heaven came
    50:42 | Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
    54:41 | CM Widor - Toccata (from Organ Symphony No. 5)
    1:02:46 | Outtakes

George

My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
    Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet

Very nice. Not the tune we used for "Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending"--I don't know what tune he played but we use "BRYN CALFARIA" (and it's one of my favorites). (I said "used" because that Hymn is no longer in the UMC Hymnal.)

David

Comment

• Larrytow
      Larrytow
      ff Fortissimo
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      The tune he is using is HELMSLEY. That is the one used pretty regularly for this hymn in most of the hymnals I use in the churches I play for. Just played it last week too.
      Larrytow
      ff Fortissimo
      Last edited by Larrytow; 12-07-2021, 04:50 PM.

• davidecasteel
      davidecasteel
      fff Fortississimo
      davidecasteel commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I just checked and our current Hymnal does have that text set to HELMSLEY. I don't consider it an improvement. I much prefer the Welsh tune BRYN CALIFARIA--one of the previous Hymnals actually used it for several texts and now it is totally gone. (Give me back the old navy blue 1939 Hymnal, please!)

David

There will be additional videos in this set, including an organ stop demo. I'll post them here as they become available. In this next video, Richard McVeigh discusses the microphone placement he used to record the organ (including the first video above).

George

Comment

We watched the Christmas video last night using the YouTube app on the TV, which also lets us experience the audio in our home theater speakers. (Everybody else may have been doing this for years, but I only recently discovered that it was possible!) Very impressive playing, beautifully recorded, and a musical pleasure. This is an English cathedral which I have not visited, and it is a lovely place, makes me want to seek it out if I ever get to go back.

And the music here is wondrous. A marvelous organ, meticulously maintained, from the sound of it, modern and well-appointed. Richard seems to always get his pieces "just right" -- skillfully and precisely played, but with great artistry and feeling as well. This program is one of the best I have seen and heard from him. Hearing different tunes for some of our favorite Christmas carols was interesting, and I'm not sure that I fully appreciate all of them. But he certainly played them beautifully.

I've been a fan of Richard McVeigh for a long time, having discovered his "Virtual Church" videos early in the pandemic. While the name "Virtual Church" is a slight exaggeration of what he offers -- it is marvelous church organ music, but not actually a "church" service in the usual sense -- he is certainly a superb organist of the highest caliber, and seems to be a fine guy too, genuinely humble and self-effacing, a loving husband and father, and friendly and welcoming to all his fans who "call in" via the comment streams on his live broadcasts.

Just watching and listening to him has been highly educational and inspirational to me. I am inspired as I watch his hands appear to float effortlessly over the keys, and his "sock" feet play the pedals as if he were born doing that, and watch how he takes as much time as he needs between the verses of a hymn, how he adds and retires stops with effortless precision. I want to BE like him at the console. I never will be, but he gives me something to aspire to!
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• SchnarrHorn
        SchnarrHorn
        mf Mezzo-Forte
        SchnarrHorn commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of the carol arrangements by Sir David Willcocks performed by Richard are among my favorites. I've only heard them with choir but he does a great job with organ alone. I'm going to have to try some of them like that (as best I can!).

George

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
      While the name "Virtual Church" is a slight exaggeration of what he offers -- it is marvelous church organ music, but not actually a "church" service in the usual sense...
      He does regularly do evensong services with readings and reflections (and of course music).

Philip
      “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
      Organs I Play:
      - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
      - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

"Once in royal David's city" was one of my mother's favorites.

Comment

Richard McVeigh just posted the next video - Christmas recital by Richard Cook. I'm listening as I type. Sounds awesome. The microphone setup he discussed in the video above did the trick!

George

00:00 | Welcome from Richard McVeigh
        00:57 | JS Bach - In Dulci Jubilo BWV 729
        04:30 | JS Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A minor BWV 543

William Lloyd-Webber - Six interludes on Christmas Carols
        16:50 | The Holly and the Ivy
        18:31 | Whence is thy goodly fragrance?
        20:58 | Noel Nouvelet
        22:40 | Good King Wenceslas
        24:25 | Coventry Carol
        27:15 | God rest you merry gentlemen

30:34 | Brahms - Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen
        35:26 | Joseph Jongen - Sonata Eroica

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan
          Super Moderator
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          George,

I just had to approve your post because of all the links. Is it possible to simply list the times, composers, and pieces without the links? Forum software marks such posts as Spam.

Michael

P.S. Thanks for providing the updates, though.

• SchnarrHorn
          SchnarrHorn
          mf Mezzo-Forte
          SchnarrHorn commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, no problem. I just copied the list with the links from the youtube page, however, it is certainly easy enough to delete the links with the link delete button. I will do that next time.

George

• myorgan
          myorgan
          Super Moderator
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          George,

It's much easier than that. Some browsers now have something like "Paste and Match Style," which includes text only, and links are left behind. Many don't know that option exists in the Edit Menu.

Michael

It sometimes takes me a while to connect the dots. I played my "Carols for Christmas" DVD, which I do every Christmastide, and just realized it was recorded in this cathedral. It used to be shown on PBS every year during Christmas, but I soon got my own VHS copy and years later replaced it with a DVD. Beautiful choral work, directed by Sir David Willcocks. The accompanying artworks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art are wonderful and add to the music. For me, the arrangement of the Coventry Carol with Aled Jones soloing stands out but all the carols are done beautifully. Has been a Christmas tradition for me for over 35 years. Time flies - I see Aled Jones is 51!

George

Comment

Working...
        X