"Dirty Work" by Steely Dan Organ Intro Drawbar Settings Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock & Roll: "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan Organ Intro Drawbar Settings Help

Can't seem to find the correct sound for this organ intro on my NE3 or my SK1. Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

As far as I know the organ solo is definitely a joke. It was recorded on a Yamaha Combo, which was a really outdated electric organ, practically a kid's toy. The band even made joking reference to how out of date the sound of the organ was in liner notes

Comment

The organ solo is definitely a joke. It was recorded on a Yamaha Combo, which was a really outdated electric organ, practically a kid's toy. The band even made joking reference to how out of date the sound of the organ was in liner notes

#YamahaCombo

Comment

You appear to have created two user accounts. Please use just one and let us know which you would like to delete. Andy G - Moderator

FWIW, the Yamaha combo organs are far from toys. You could do a lot with them, especially the YC45D. They had a distinctive sound and they're sought after instruments amongst the combo organ fraternity. Such is the demand for the sound that Yamaha have launched a mini version in their 'Reface' series.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

If it's the same organ as on "Do It Again," it is indeed a Yamaha combo organ. A YC30 I'm pretty sure. I recently met an engineer in Portland who used to own a studio with Walter Becker, and he has the one used on the record. You should be able to get something similar out of your Nord's Farfisa or Vox model, right?
          I probably own too many keyboards
          https://bensnacksturner.com/the-fleet/

Comment

Originally posted by Seth Queeney View Post
            The organ solo is definitely a joke. It was recorded on a Yamaha Combo, which was a really outdated electric organ, practically a kid's toy. The band even made joking reference to how out of date the sound of the organ was in liner notes

#YamahaCombo
            I'ts actually a pretty cool combo unit from the 60's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYaqJH5qlvU

Although I'll stick with my VB3

Comment

Working...
            X