A fresh album chok-a-blok with Hammond and other goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock & Roll: A fresh album chok-a-blok with Hammond and other goodness

Been laboring over this album for a long time. Lots of work to do on the front end before mixing phase. But, hey, it's done.

First off, the link:
    https://theditmeyers.bandcamp.com/al...-days-of-water

It's pretty much a celebration of the Leslie cabinet, as my Hammond wasn't the only thing to take a spin. Borrowed a 122->147 conversion from my buddy, no deflectors, thing sounds magnificent!

You've heard me go on from time-to-time about the deliberate overdrive I've modded my power-amp to have. This goes over-the-top Jon Lord levels in "Great Dirt Path." It's throughout the album though in varying subtle degrees. Also, I'd finished the TG recap (Much thanks to veterans here) two weeks before hauling in the studio.

If any of you are mix engineers I'd love to get outside perspectives on where I can improve my mixcraft to get to the next level. I've got a few ideas of my own of course.

Absolutely headphone music by the way. Enjoy everyone!
    www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils
    Rock-melting-pot from Selma, CA. Second album "In the Dark" available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Conn Caprice 432, Hammond A-100, Leslie 860, Needham NY reed organ, Fender-Rhodes MkI Stage 88, midi-controller until I can get a Mellotron.
    Melodica, flute, tenor sax, and mandolin.

Magnificent!
    I reckon you had the most fun on Track 10... Great Dirt Path.

What was your leslie mic method?
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Close micing. There were variations.

For (1) Attention Please I unplugged the motors and put the horn and drum on axis. Also one mic for each. At the time I did not have access to a Tone Cabinet. My buddy has since acquired a PR-40. Shrug.

On (2) Hundred Watt Halo I did mono upper as well. I was expecting to only need the lower as I'm in the basement underpinning the vocal during the chorus only, but was surprised at tracking to find most of the aggression of the sound was just wind of the upper. Good to learn!

(3) Porch Swing I put the access panels back on, mic'd from the front side, somewhere about 2'-3' away. I wanted a much more traditional sound and wanted to hear the boxiness of the cabinet itself.

(7) I'll Be Forgiven, well it's a little surprise there, see if you can guess it.

(9) Already mentioned it up above. Only time I used hard L/R in the mix, as the chorus is meant as a pad not a part. Generally I've come to strongly dislike hard L/R stereo image. (Also, hate the "Leslie on its side" image too, though it has its place.)

(10) Was obviously ridiculously close to emphasize AM over FM. Ended up massively clipping the waveform on the keeper take, oops on our part that night. Strangely, it was just fine to mix with.

Overall nothing groundbreaking (had no need for room/distance mics in these dense mixes) but there was a lot of small variation tailored to each song.

Also the Leslie itself was interesting. Not only is it an ex-church Leslie missing its deflectors (I thought only Pink Floyd did that...) it's not merely a 147 amp in a 122 badged cabinet. Some previous owner actually took the time to completely rewire the 122 amp to operate single ended. I'm sure what's left of the 122 topology had an influence on the final tone. The rewire certainly had an effect on the overdrive characteristics. An eggregiously bad one.

First night in after patching the A-100 through the CPAI I borrowed of the studio owner (and confirming ahead of time that the 122 had been rewired 6W not still 6H) I went to crank up the output on the amp to get that classic tone. It sounded horrendous. Just a suitcase full of bad. It was more like digital clipping in the room than that classic compressed output stage and screaming for mercy V-21 we all love. So I had to turn it back down to 3 and rely on the modded AO-39 of my organ to do all the saturation. Listening to the warm burr on the opening feature of Porch Swing shows my simple mod is more than capable of being musically pleasing, but it does sound different to my ear than a well driven tube Leslie does. In any case, more than ample to massage into the mix I think.

So that's what I did. I'm looking forward to getting this single-drum Leslie cabinet up and running for that Steppenwolf sound, but I've got a dead relay trans. Never powered it up. Found a guy in town with spare 11pin Leslie power supplies for sale, just haven't gotten around to purchasing as I've been tight on cash.

Alright alright I fess up. I've been blowing it on beer and good food.

NB: We have GOT to fix the timeout/logout behavior on this forum! I had to write this writeup twice because the first time I had timed out. Second time I wrote it on the PC in notepad. More than merely annoying!
      www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils
      Rock-melting-pot from Selma, CA. Second album "In the Dark" available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Conn Caprice 432, Hammond A-100, Leslie 860, Needham NY reed organ, Fender-Rhodes MkI Stage 88, midi-controller until I can get a Mellotron.
      Melodica, flute, tenor sax, and mandolin.

Comment

Dang, on the ol' timeout!
        For me the auto-saves do the trick and I'm able to restore anything that won't post.
        Failing that I'm able to cut n' paste what I write, refresh the page and paste it in.
        -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
        -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
        -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
        -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
        -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

Working...
        X