Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the organ on this Neil Diamond song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock & Roll: What is the organ on this Neil Diamond song?

The song in question is "Dig In" from the 1969 "Brother Love/Sweet Caroline" album (also the B-side to the Caroline 45):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQrMWuR3Z4

An typical 60's sounding organ enters on the 2nd verse. But something completely different takes over on the 3rd verse and stays for the rest of the song.

I heard this song when I was 6 or 7 years old and was struck by that sound - never heard anything like it in my short life (and haven't heard the exact same sound anywhere else since)! I asked my dad what it was and he told me that it was a Hammond organ through a Leslie, and explained the concept of the Leslie to me. This is probably what started my love for Hammonds and Leslies.

But wait a minute...

Once I learned more songs that were definitely played on a Hammond and Leslie, I realized that there's no way that the sound on "Dig In" was a Hammond...

Until I got a T-200 in middle school, which of course had the percussion reiteration function. This function sounded similar to, but still not quite, "Dig In."

Background information on the song:

The "Brother Love/Sweet Caroline" album was recorded in early 1969 at Chips Moman's famous American Sound Studio in Memphis, around the same time that Elvis was cutting his 'comeback' album, and using the same house band. The house band included keyboardists Bobby Emmons and Bobby Wood. I've read somewhere that the studio had an M3, and a picture on this website actually shows the band posing around an M3: http://phillipraulsphotolog.blogspot...eeks-your.html Of course, there's no way an M3 could make the sound on "Dig In." That's all the info I know about the studio and any specific keyboards.

This is assuming, of course, that "Dig In" was recorded there just like the rest of the album. I haven't heard another track from American Sound with that organ sound on it. Perhaps there's more that I just haven't heard yet - but definitely none on any other Neil Diamond song!

So what do your ears think? Could it be a Hammond T-series, or something else that had a feature similar to the percussion reiteration that someone brought to the session?

In retrospect, it's pretty awesome that my dad knew what a Hammond and Leslie were, and if I never asked the question about the song back then, I probably wouldn't be asking the same question on this forum today!
    Farfisa Mini Compact V1, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk. 1, Hammond B2, Hammond L-102 "El Choppo", Hammond M-101, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie 145, Leslie "430" (former 130 cab with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.
Working...
X