The Doors, The Last Organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Doors, The Last Organ

The Doors, maybe the only organ centric rock and roll band ever? Just listen.

Only? I've always been quite sure that the ironically very talented Ritchie Blackmore could have been absent from every Deep Purple session and no one would have noticed. But organs, especially Hammonds, though not advertised, form very important parts in rock and roll songs over the decades more often than not.

Comment

I am very familiar with the hammonds in rock and love em! Not too familiar with a lot of Deep Purple, but checked some out tonight and you are right. Gotta love Ray Manzarek though!

Comment

The Nice, ELP, Boston, Procul Harum, Genesis, Yes, Moody Blues to name just a few more...
        Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Garth Hudson from the Band was an accomplished organist, though more in the background

Comment

(taking a mental journey through the vinyl for a few more) Flash, Camel, King Crimson, PFM, Dream Theater, Triumvirat, Rick Wakeman, Asia...
            edit:
            Steppenwolf, Small Faces, Young Rascals, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Brian Auger, Allman Brothers, Iron Butterfly...
            Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Good interview here -
              An Archival Interview With Ray Manzarek, Keyboardist For The Doors
              https://www.npr.org/2017/07/28/53998...-for-the-doors

Comment

Is it safe to say Propellerheads? I'm not sure if that counts as Rock and Roll.

Or Portishead?

Comment

I imaging it is safe, and I will check em out. I am just breaking in to some of the black organ masters. Jimmy Smith is pretty great. The B3 was born in the black church.

Comment

Working...
                  X