altered leslie 710 sound clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

altered leslie 710 sound clip

lately i've been swapping out pieces in my 710 for either repairs or to go after a different sound. it's getting to be a grandfather's axe paradox: the crossover, upper motor, and cabinet are the only original components.

anyway, i recorded a demo today called "no percussion needed" (just two matched microphones at 90 degrees from the horn) to compare to the old sound so i thought i would share. feedback always appreciated.

i also recorded this, the worst thing i've ever done. it's based on two popular songs and is called "for the beauty of my party." enjoy!
    Why do fools fall in lava?

Update: adding some video clips of the Notosonic 710. i uploaded 10 or so lofi phone videos, here's a few.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3215.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	721807

simple organ progression

mellotron flute samples

rhodes comping -loose interpretation of lush life

Comment

Sounds great Logan! Rock on my friend! The missing overlap upper octave of the lower 15" rotor is evident.
      Would be nice to hear the 800HZ to 250HZ octave more for my own taste.
      Consider it usable as is,I would try to get the lower mid octave in there a bit more.
      Most FOH techs are desperate to keep anything below 250HZ from a Leslie making it into a mix.
      It's 'pre dialed out',many used only a treble rotor back in the day.
      sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
      Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
        Sounds great Logan! Rock on my friend! The missing overlap upper octave of the lower 15" rotor is evident.
        Would be nice to hear the 800HZ to 250HZ octave more for my own taste.
        Consider it usable as is,I would try to get the lower mid octave in there a bit more.
        Most FOH techs are desperate to keep anything below 250HZ from a Leslie making it into a mix.
        It's 'pre dialed out',many used only a treble rotor back in the day.
        thanks Pete!! much appreciated

i was planning on getting into that 825 project some more next week when i have some pocket money (crossover/speaker mainly), but this one is a lot closer to done. so it'll probably be work on this instead. more lows sounds ideal, i will work toward that end...just bassy enough to shake trinkets off the shelves but still hear the fundamental would be good

the 15" is a 400w eminence right now, but that amp only pushes 300w at 4 ohms so i can't get it to push the bass low without overdriving the horn (i tried bi-amping, didn't like it). there's maybe 5 other varieties of 15" around here, i plan on digging them out to see what they are before buying another. though that might be what it comes to. it lives at home but ideally i'd like a clear but driveable sound that can keep up with a drummer (would be a lot easier if my drummer would use brushes heh)

hadn't considered just using the top rotor. it'd be really easy to unplug the bottom and try out at least. i've noticed in my novice recordings the more usable sound i've had is two matched mic's at 90 degrees from the horn. top+bottom mics = muddy or seasick. possibly because i'm stupid but i at least know microphones are as good an approximation of ears as there is

Comment

Addendum

Nord electro 5 through the 710. the amp is an egnater tweaker, a charming 15 watt head with simple but useful tone sculpting. it's underpowered for what i like in a leslie but for distorted sounds it comes through alright!

Comment

Working...
          X