Request for a step-by-step tutorial: The Hunting Song by Tom Lehrer, 1953

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for a step-by-step tutorial: The Hunting Song by Tom Lehrer, 1953

I would like to please see a music tutorial for electric organ posted on YouTube for this comedy classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyoSLOlglw

There is this tutorial but it's much too fast to learn the song note for note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0mGVQQwJ0

On YouTube use shift < to slow replay and shift > to speed up

Comment

I think it is worth pointing out that the video being called a tutorial is not a tutorial. It happens to show the keys being played but it is for entertainment purposes. I doubt anyone has bothered to actually try and put a tutorial on this song together. There may be tutorials on the STYLE of piano being used but I think most tutorials serve as an outlet for the creativity of the people that produce them! A musician that possess the hand speed and has the experience to play that song well will not need a tutorial to learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
        I would like to please see a music tutorial for electric organ posted on YouTube for this comedy classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyoSLOlglw
        Are you planning to learn something new for the Feast of Saint Francis? 🙂
        Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Originally posted by Innocentti View Post
          On YouTube use shift < to slow replay and shift > to speed up
          Thank you. That helps. At least I can learn the notes of the melody. I'm actually trying to learn this on a music keyboard with no pedal but accompanying beats. I use organ voicing or "tones". It is not easy to adapt this classic Tom Lehrer song to an electronic keyboard. You have very fast-moving chords in some parts of the music. Mr. Lehrer either played this on piano in concert or it was orchestrated in his recording. I have yet to hear this on a genuine organ of some kind with pedals. It could make a great party song for someone with a Hammond, Kimball, Lowrey, etc at home. A number of piano or orchestrated songs have been adapted for keyboard instruments with pedal. J.S. Bach himself adapted orchestrated music of other composers to organ. E Power Biggs had recordings of his playing his John Challis pedal harpsichord to Joplin's ragtime piano works as featured in the 193 film, The Sting. I don't know if Mr. Biggs himself or somebody else arranged the piano works for pedal harpsichord. Certainly music for pedal harpsichord could also be played on organ.

Tom Lehrer, in the 1950's. 1960's into the 1970's, is famous for songs with goofy lyrics but serious musical instrumentation. His works sound like classical music with silly folk-song-like words.

Comment

Working...
          X