Ebay Classic organs



No announcement yet.

Drawbar Technique Name

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rock & Roll: Drawbar Technique Name

    What is the name of the drawbar technique where you hold a chord with your right hand and with your left hand you slide the drawbars in and out! Think "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller,

  • #2
    I don't think I've ever heard a specific name for it, at least not over here in the UK. But if you go back waaaay before Mr Miller, there was a technique called the 'talking organ'. If you held the right keys and twiddled the drawbars fast enough and in the right way, you could get some vowel/vocal effects. There were some examples on Youtube, IIRC.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

    New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

    Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1


    • #3
      A Hammond is played like a synthesizer. One hand on the keys one on the controls.

      But I've never heard a specific name given for the technique you describe.

      It would be called a filter sweep in synthesizer terminology.

      Call it a "bar sweep" we'll give it a name right here and now.

      Last edited by Goff; 11-04-2022, 10:14 AM.


      • #4
        Here's another example of BAR SWEEP by Benmont: T: