This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Carpenter at Trinity Church Wall Street

<font face="Georgia"><font size="4">Did anyone catch this tour de forceat Trinity Wall Street? Here's the url: http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/cal...event_id=39072

Re: Cameron Carpenter at Trinity Church Wall Street

[quote user="fuguebwv582"]<font face="Georgia"><font size="4"><font size="2">Did anyone catch this tour de force[/quote]
    Okay, I'll be the first to bite. I quite agree with fuguebwv582. It was certainly a <span style="font-style: italic;">tour de force</span>, but that is a loaded phrase. <span style="font-style: italic;">Tour de force</span> of what? Certainly Mr. Carpenter's technical address was astounding in the extreme (e.g. the Middelschulte in his own "edition"), yet his chosen selections gave me no idea about the depth of his musicianship. I should therefore hold judgement until I can hear him in Bach, Franck, or (in my case) the Elgar or Whitlock organ sonatas.

It brought to mind the several times I have heard Evgeny Kissin live. Everything was played as fast and loud as possible, but in the end he reminded me more of a trained monkey. (He is much better behaved on recordings, of which there are some stellar examples.)

May I also say that I found Owen Burdick's opening remarks to be akin to a deer in the headlamps. He tossed out the word "genius" so frequently, as if he could not trust the audience to come to their own conclusions. It smacked of well meaning, yet pure public relations puffery.

Finally, I admit that I am not familiar with the organ used, and the phrase "registration frame function" was new to me. For all that, Mr. Carpenter drew some exciting sounds from the organ and he is definitely "a talent to keep our eyes [and ears] on."

Cheers,
    Jason

Comment

I guess I can see (hear) why that organ cost nearly half a million dollars.</P>

</P>

And yes, what is a "registration frame function" anyway? Is that the single use piston that seemed to advance through registration settings?</P>

Comment

[quote user="IndianaBill"]

And yes, what is a "registration frame function" anyway? Is that the single use piston that seemed to advance through registration settings?</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

Yes, that's exactly what the frame function does. </P>

Comment

--</P>

Comment

[quote user="telemanr"][quote user="IndianaBill"]

[/quote]</P>

Yes, that's exactly what the frame function does. </P>

[/quote]</P>

I wonder why they just don't call it a piston sequencer? Unless this really does something different (enlighten me if it does), I don't know why builders have to invent new terminology to confuse everyone. [:S]</P>

Comment

<font face="Georgia"><font size="4">I only know it as a "registration frame sequencer" from my use of Hauptwerk. It's like having 512 General Pistons all on the same button. As builders of pipe organs and digitals incorporate it into their schemes, it will without a doubt become known with a myriad appellations. Ah, the glories of language!

The organ was the "Epiphany Opus 1" from Marshall and Ogletree.
              </font></font>

Comment

[quote user="fuguebwv582"]<FONT face=Georgia><FONT size=4>Did anyone catch this tour de forceat Trinity Wall Street? Here's the url: http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/cal...event_id=39072[/quote]</P>

</P>

You can buy a CD/DVD of Cameron Carpenter playing "Pictures at an Exhibition" on the Trinity M&amp;O organ here"</P>

</P>

http://www.circlesinternet.com/cgi-b...e=products.htm</P>

</P>

Comment

[quote user="Jason E"]<FONT size=4><FONT size=2>
                  </FONT></FONT><FONT face=Georgia size=2></FONT>
                  Okay, I'll be the first to bite. I quite agree with fuguebwv582. It was certainly a <SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">tour de force</SPAN>, but that is a loaded phrase. <SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Tour de force</SPAN> of what? Certainly Mr. Carpenter's technical address was astounding in the extreme (e.g. the Middelschulte in his own "edition"), yet his chosen selections gave me no idea about the depth of his musicianship. I should therefore hold judgement until I can hear him in Bach, Franck, or (in my case) the Elgar or Whitlock organ sonatas.

Cheers,
                  Jason

[/quote]</P>

So you don't consider "Pictures at an Exhibition" to be very demandingof technique?</P>

</P>

Comment

[quote user="radagast"]

So you don't consider "Pictures at an Exhibition" to be very demandingof technique?
                    </p>[/quote]
                    Excuse me, where in my post did I imply that?

Comment

[quote user="Jason E"][quote user="radagast"]

So you don't consider "Pictures at an Exhibition" to be very demandingof technique?
                      </P>

[/quote]
                      [/quote]</P>

That would be the sentence that ended with "yet his chosen selections gave me no idea about the depth of his musicianship."</P>

It sounds very much like you would be more impressed if Mr. Carpenter had played " Bach, Franck, or (inyour case) the Elgar or Whitlock organ sonatas", than Mussorgsky. Otherwise, why mention the other works? </P>

On the other hand, if they are all on a similar level of difficulty, then playing any one should suffice in giving you an idea of his prowess, unless of course the works you mention are favorites of yours.
                      </P>

</P>

</P>

Comment

[quote user="radagast"][quote user="Jason E"][quote user="radagast"]

</p>

[/quote]
                        [/quote]</p>

That would be the sentence that ended with "yet his chosen selections gave me no idea about the depth of his musicianship."</p> [/quote]
                        Oh please. Read into your above quote anything you wish, but I would not be so foolish as to consider Pictures anything other than a formidible challenge- on organ or piano. I just feel that the intellectual rigors of learning Bach or Franck are greater than those posed in the Mussorgsky.

We can quibble, but I suspect that is not really the issue you have with me; rather, is it the apparent fact that you were more impressed with Mr. Carpenter than I was?

Comment

Registration frame function: the builders probably just came up with it to sound more technical... LOL!</P>

I was very impressed with Mr. Carpenter. Like it was said earlier, I almost wish he would have done more Bach, etc, but what he did play was very impressive! Especially how many times he changed registrations... If you just listened to the Pictures and didn't watch the video, the organ sounded like a big orchestra, which, for that piece especially, is how it's supposed to sound!</P>

...And to think he did it all from memory. Very impressive!</P>

Now, I just want to point out that I think that Virgil's version of the pedal solo is a bit more flashy, which is what I really like, on that piece anyways.</P>

But, overall, I was very impressed, and I'm going to keep my eye on this chap. He did get a well deserved standing ovation after the Pictures!</P>

Comment

[quote user="soundboarddude"]

Now, I just want to point out that I think that Virgil's version of the pedal solo is a bit more flashy, which is what I really like, on that piece anyways.</p>[/quote]
                            Really? Is that possible? [:O] Obviously I never saw Virgil perform it (or anything else), but this latest performance knocked me flat. I'll be most curious to hear this young "chap" in other music.

Comment

[quote user="Jason E"][quote user="radagast"]

That would be the sentence that ended with "yet his chosen selections gave me no idea about the depth of his musicianship."</P>

[/quote]
                              Oh please. Read into your above quote anything you wish, but I would not be so foolish as to consider Pictures anything other than a formidible challenge- on organ or piano. I just feel that the intellectual rigors of learning Bach or Franck are greater than those posed in the Mussorgsky.

We can quibble, but I suspect that is not really the issue you have with me; rather, is it the apparent fact that you were more impressed with Mr. Carpenter than I was?
                              [/quote]</P>

I am not sure what you mean by "intellectual rigors" if you consider "Pictures" to be a "formidible challenge". Pictures is a formidible challenge as is Bach or Franck, even if it is in a different way.</P>

My only possible question about liking CC would be in regards to his interpretations, not his technical ability.</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X